Learning to budget to make future adventures happen

Options

Comments

• crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Options
    Christmas can be such a fraught time when you have small children and reduced sleeping hours. The good cry has probably helped. I like your goal of making some clothes. I'm rubbish at anything like that!

It definitely has! Both are tucked up in bed now so husband and I can have some down time. We haven't spent any quality time together over Christmas as we were away with family. A date night is needed I think - at home - steak and wine and a film. Perhaps will plan that in for next weekend.

I love sewing and have made loads of stuff in the past. I have lots of patterns and ideas on pinterest but need t make time to actually do it.

This is my year!!
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • crunch_time
    Options
    louby40 wrote: »
    I understand totally about thinking about school. I did about 4 hours of planning yesterday. I've got a PGCE student and she's with me full time from tomorrow for 6 weeks (previously it was 3 days). She's really good and will be teaching 40% so it does take the pressure off me slightly.

But I've had to look at my medium term plans and my heart just hasn't been in it! But I know my 10.30am tomorrow I'll be back in the swing.

Oh for a lottery win!

I had a PGCE student last academic year and it just took the pressure off slightly with the day to day stuff. I've been very good in the past of making up work for myself unnecessarily so try and wing it a bit more now and now over prepare but even then there is so much to do.

This job is great in some ways when you have children like for the holidays but I really cant see myself doing it forever. I'm already thinking of my next move. Once DD starts school (2020) I might go full time for a couple of years to really bank the money then go part time again once DS it at high school and do my MA in Education and Development and work in the educational charity sector or something. I also dream of working for myself from home but I'm not sure what in. My heart is open to possibilities and meanwhile I see this as a job I do fairly well and it is a means to an end at the moment. That means evenings of work but that's ok. Its not like I have an amazing social life anymore anyhow!! Ha ha!
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Evening diary,

I wanted to get onto husbands online banking to pay £5 off the credit card just to feel better today but its not working. Hopefully it will work tomorrow and I will have a clearer picture of things as DD's childcare bill will come through too and all the direct debits will start coming out after the bank holiday.

At least today was a NSD so that is positive.

My mind is starting to whirl regarding things to be paid for in the next few months...

- cats annual jab
    - husband car tax and MOT - Feb
    - Twinkl sub (teachers will understand)
    - new tyres for husbands car plus windscreen
    - my back is aching and I would love a massage - not a priority I know but here's hoping.
    - overcoat for husband (he has been putting this off for years)

Hopefully we will be able to afford it all and some significant repayments.

I also believe we are owed about £600 of expenses and mileage from husbands work. He is going to check tomorrow.

Anyway, I really am procrastinating now. Must get on with work now.

have a lovely evening everyone.

Crunch x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning all

Back to work today! Quite looking forward to the change in pace.

Checked bank accounts today and £275 gone out for loan bringing it to £9500 and also rounded the 0% card down to £1960.

Must check my council tax statement later to see what comes out for these next few months. I cant remember whether I budget for 12/10 months.

Other good news is I weighed myself this am and I haven't put on any weight over he Christmas period although I feel fuller. the world of slimming is being stuck today - I still need to lose 1.5 stones maybe even 2 stones.

Happy 'Monday' all those people back to work today!

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Evening all

DD's childcare bill came in today. Childcare voucher applied and over budgeting taken into account meaning there was £128 left to pay off the debt!! £100 paid off the loan and £28 off the credit card.

Very happy with that!

Crunch x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning diary

Feeling like I have already made lots of progress so far this year and it is only the 5th!

Waiting for DS's childcare bill to come in and then I estimate I can throw another £50 at the debt. Husband is going to chase his estimated £600 of expenses today.

After the car payment comes out and husbands gym membership thing we have £275 left till his payday in 3 weeks time. I have dinner with friends to pay for tomorrow night which I will keep as cheap as possible and also need to buy a present for a friends birthday - £20 max. Husband is going to look into overcoats today and we might have to go shopping for one at the weekend.

I would love to make another overpayment with some of this money but I going to be sensible and hold on to it for the moment so we don't sell ourselves short and then need to use the husbands credit card again. This last chapter is about learning to pace ourselves and stick to a budget after all.

I need to get some milk today and then that's it for spends today.

Off to tackle my massive to do list!

Crunch x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Hello all!

Currently enjoying a sit down after a few hours trying to clean my house with toddler. One step forwards, two steps back. Trying to appreciate the time with her as she will be at school before we know it.

This year both my two will be looked after by grandparents in one of the 3 days a week I work saving us about £1000 a term. However, we have secured 3 days a week for her at nursery from September so that is £1000 that can't go towards the loan.

I'm going to try my hardest to get this loan at least annialted by the end of the year but not at the expense of certain things. Just trimming the fat and not getting into anymore debt.

Today is a nsd and I have lost 4 pounds so far this year! First run of the new year tomorrow. Planning to do my usual route which is 20 mins and then some squats and weights and stuff.

No wine tonight! Unofficially doing dry January. Planning to do lots of computer stuff and maybe some school work - I'm so behind!

Tgi Friday!

Xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning diary!

Stuck to my budget last night and had a lovely time but feel a bit flat this morning. Saw long term friend last night that I haven't seen for 6 months purely because I haven't arranged for us to meet. She didn't ask how I was or anything about what's going on in my life as usual. Just all about herself or talking with the mutual friends there. Found myself feeling guilty that I exist. I know its her problem (whatever the problem is!!) but cant help but feel rubbish. We used to have such a good time and have been friends nearly 20 years. I don't want it all to be about me but some acknowledgement that I am a person and that they care how I am would be great. Woke up feeling more determined than ever to achieve my goals.......

.....and cultivate new friendships with my new friends.

We will always have a lovely history and I won't cut her out of my life completely but I will focus on my and stop feeling guilty.

I'm seeing one of my 'new' friends later who always wants to get together and asks how I am - the most important elements of friendship in my opinion - so getting excited about that!

DS childcare bill in. £50 but I believe they have overcharged me £9 so I have emailed them and meanwhile overpaid £50 to the loan bringing it to £9350 and total debt to £12,182. Hopefully get to chuck another £9 at it later this week.

I have lots of fun things and meet ups with new friends and family I'm on better terms with now for this January so feeling very positive about the future!

Happy Sunday everyone!
    Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Good for you realising that the problem is not you! I have let many of my old friends go, as we grew up it seemed so many of them became focused on having the ideal lifestyle and man, caught up in manicures and shopping. Things that weren't important to me. I have over the last few years made a couple of good friends who have similar interests and lifestyles to mine, and they ask about me, too! I am still fb friends with the others but have turned off their updates as they seemed to be filled with pics of their new sofa or their third trip of the year to Majorca.

I'm glad you are so positive, things always seem to go better when you are in a good frame of mind!
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Evening diaryland,

Busy 3 days at work. Not stopped all day on all days and then late to bed because of working and early rises. A very tired Crunchy currently drinking wine so dry January is going REALLY well!

I questioned the over charge which was supported and then rebuffed due to an email that was found stating something that could have supported the extra session. I checked my diary but at the end of the day its £9 and I would rather have a good relationship with them then have the money so decided not to go further and said I must have had a funny week that week - it was bonkers......it always is.

Thanks for your kind words misty mountain top. Got to keep reminding myself that its ok to outgrow friends but still enjoy their company when you do meet up. Had a chat with the husband too and feel much better now. Focusing on my goals.

Operation cultivate new friendships has started beginning with an invitation from husbands old work friends to dinner at a fancy (but not too expensive) restaurant that I have always wanted to go to on Saturday night. It will cost us around £50 but it will be fun and worth it. Very much looking forward to it now. Babysitters sorted.

Don't think we will be able to pay much more off the debt other than regular payments as there is so much we need to buy - new shoes for each child just added to the list!

A week to go until my pay day and all ok in the money department so far! Going to get back to the wine.

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing