App Based Banking Review - January 2019 (Starling, Monzo & N26)

Options
Hello all,
Over the last few months I’ve tried out three of the UK digital/app banking options and I thought I share my experiences because I’ve found it hard to get an up to date review online. I’ll try to keep it brief and to the point, and I hope it helps someone who might be interested and/or is currently comparing this new & crowded market segment make their own decision.

STARLING BANK

PROS:
  • Can authorise more than one device to use the app
  • Card arrived in the post the fastest of the three & ID ‘verification’ wait was the shortest at only a few hours.
  • You get a new account number and sort code at the point of application.
  • Part of UK Current Account Switching Service & FSCS ‘protected’.
  • I used customer service twice, both times chatting was satisfactory with ‘live’ chat or inbox style messages.
  • They are the only one of the three to pay a (small) amount of interest on balances.
  • Can deposit cash at the post office for free, can send cheques in the post.

CONS:
  • No facility to re-apply for Overdrafts / Starling Loan products (turning part of your OD into a Personal Loan). If they don’t offer it you when you sign up, tough luck.
  • Cannot rename bank accounts in the App (E.g. ‘Joint Account’, ‘Checking Account’)
  • If you close your account you can’t re-open it for 12 months, there doesn’t seem to be a good reason for this.
  • It’s the only one of the three that has no online banking facility at all – lose your phone and you can’t access your finances. I asked if I lost my phone would I be able to call them to move money from my spaces (savings pots) to the main account if I needed to (e.g. buy a new phone) – they said ‘no’.

MONZO

PROS:
  • Good budgeting features in the app, but only designed to work on a monthly basis (e.g. salary) for your main account, and can’t be switched off.
  • Flexible overdraft functions (£50 intervals) & can re-apply by messaging customer service.
  • Customer service fast and best of the three in my experience.
  • Online blog seems to be the most engaged with incorporating new features / customer requests.
  • Part of UK Current Account Switching Service & FSCS ‘protected’.
  • Can verify online transactions in real time via the app.
  • Only one of the three to allow you to ‘lock’ (freeze) your savings pots for a later date if you want / apply for longer term investments in the app (through a partner).
  • Can pay in cash at any PayPoint location (£1 fee), not sure about cheques.

CONS:
  • You can’t rename payees in the android app, so make sure you spell them right the first time (although you can delete them)
  • Reminders from the app requesting access to your address book cannot be switched off

N26

PROS:
  • Best looking app in my opinion (cleanest)
  • Spending analytics is available but not made mandatory
  • Most functional online banking with web based customer support
  • Only one to offer ‘unlimited’ GBP cash withdrawals in the UK for UK-based accounts (in reality limited to £2500/day, and there have been reports of accounts being closed for overuse).

CONS:
  • You have to make a cash withdrawal to fully activate your card
  • Can’t pay cash into account in the UK (via some retailers only in Germany). No cheques at all.
  • Android app does not save payees, although you can search transaction history and make a note. Asked customer service – this is a known issue but no plans to rectify.
  • Can only authorise one device at once, but can de-authorize online if required.
  • Not part of UK Current Account Switching Service, but you can close your account online.

In summary, I’ve decided that although these fintech banks are interesting, none of them are ready to replace my regular, high-street joint account, in my opinion. All three offer instant payment notifications, an easy sign up process if you have photo ID, and all the cards worked fine for me at all times. All three also group Standing Orders and Direct Debits into ‘regular payments’ if this matters to you, and also include pending transactions in your [available] balance. For Starling, overall the lack of flexibility / ability to re-apply for credit made me switch to Monzo. I found the Monzo app a bit busy and did not enjoy being forced to categorise my spending and bank transfers, although overall I would say Monzo is the most mature product and the one I’d recommend from my experience. After moving (not switching) to N26 I found not being able to store payees a deal breaker, although apparently this is Android app specific.

Hope this is useful!

Comments

• smallandcute
    Options
    Interesting read. Would they be good for those with an insolvancy such as IVA, DRO or bankruptcy?
  • scottishbank
    scottishbank Posts: 59 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 23 January 2019 at 11:10PM
    Options
    The option to apply for the overdraft is buried in account management section, but I agree it should be more straightforward.

One big advantage of Starling should be mentioned - an ability to withdraw cash abroad without monthly limit. Monzo allows only £200 per month for cash withdrawal abroad.
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    Starling: Good for spending abroad at near perfect rates. And for getting down wiv the kids (I am 64!). Otherwise of limited use to us old uns.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • LobsterMemory
    Options
    Starling - Also fee-free payments/transfers into a foreign bank account again at near perfect rates
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The fee-free overseas cash withdrawals and free foreign transactions are the only decent reasons to use these apps IMO, but even then I find using Curve (https://www.curve.app/) to be more convenient as you get very similar benefits and it charges your debit/credit card directly without the need to transfer money to an external current account.
  • bald_rick
    Options
    Good review thanks. Will you look at Revolut?
  • Thanks for the replies all. In terms of IVA/Bankruptcy usage (assume you mean poor credit rating) I can confirm that Starling and Monzo so leave 'soft' ID checks on your credit file. I'm sorry I don't have plans to look at Revolut at the moment, I've gone back to my high street (formerly bailed out by the government) bank for now. I'm afraid I'm not much of a traveller but I understand the low/free fees would be a big plus if people were thinking about this type of banking
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Starling - also offer banking facilities at the Post Office, free cash deposits with instant crediting to the account and extremely high deposit transaction limits (£2k at small branches, £20k per transaction at main Post Office branches iirc).
    ====
  • NewToTheUkAgain
    Options
    Starling you can re apply for an overdraft issuing a soft search after 3 months. You must message there customer services or live chat to do so
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Monzo pros - in my social group, workplace and family everyone else has it and the bill splitting / p2p functions are far more advanced than Starling or N26's.

Starling Pros - gives you interest on current account balances. Although at 0.5% it's probably not worth it (my average current account balance is about £200, so that's £1 a year!).

N26 still feels under-developed, even though it's the biggest of the three in terms of the size of the business.

Monzo is finally working on cheque imaging. That will be a bonus for me, I hate posting stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure