Changing from EE to SKY can I stipulate start date?

Options
EE broadband and phone contract ends February 28th 2019 and I need to give 30 days notice of leaving to avoid early termination charges.

If I go with SKY I understand they would organise everything on my behalf without me contacting EE BUT if I sign up now will SKY just get on with it or can I ask them to organise for the takeover day to be 1st March?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you move to another provider that uses Openreach (EE and Sky both do) then a migration can take 10-14 days , so if you are still inside a minimum term and called Sky on the 28th Jan, it possible that you could be left with around 2 weeks ETC if they process the migration immediately , as it could happen 10-14 Feb, but even if that's the case the ETC shouldn't be much, if you want to changeover as close to 28th Feb, ask Sky if the can post date the change , or call them around 10-14th Feb, 30 days notice if you are outside the minimum term, is normally only needed if you quit completely, or move to a non Openreach provider
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 January 2019 at 9:53AM
    Options
    Thanks iniltous. I did phone Sky and they said they can't post date a switch day, its always about 14 days from day of signing up (which is also the period during which you can change your mind and cancel:))

So I would have to accept the two weeks ETC but at least that's at the discounted rate (probably!?) that I have been paying rather than two weeks at the renewal rate.

Although I don't know what happens if you just let a contract run its course without cancelling, would it just become a rolling contract or would they cut you off when it technically ends!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure