3 bed semi rewire

Hi,

Looking for any opinions on a recent quote for a home rewire in Central Scotland.

We have a 1920's 3 bed semi-detached property needing a full rewire to include (as broken down in the quotation):

• 10-15 way Hager RCD Consumer unit
  • 3-4 double sockets per room
  • 5-6 double sockets in lounge, and 1-2 in each hallway
  • 1 x light switch, 1, 2, or 3 gang per room/hallway
  • 1 x pendant point per room/hallway and lamp
  • 1 x shower circuit
  • 1 x cooker circuit
  • Central heating cricuit
  • 1 x external LED security light at rear
  • 1 x external LED security light at front door
  • Main earth bonding to gas and water services
  • Grade D smoke alarm system
  • Testing & certification
  • Plastering service to make good all cuts and chases created (to include bonding and finish coat where required)
Garage installation to include:
  • New armour
  • 2 x double sockets
  • 1 x metal clad switch
  • 1 x LED baton
All in the price is £4,704. To be fair this is our first quote, but a bit over what I'd understood as a broad estimation of around £3-4,000. During a visit to the house, they didn't find anything out of the ordinary and estimated 2 days to complete all the work.

Any thoughts on the price?

Cheers!

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Firstly, forget £3k - it's not realistic.

Secondly, this quote is confusing with 4-5 socket outlets in rooms etc. How many are you getting?

Also a Grade D smoke detection system is mentioned - however there is no mention of the Category of system (e.g. LD2).

There is also no such thing as "earth bonding" - it is main protective bonding. But at least it's not ambiguous like other parts.

Also I don't remotely see it as two days work. (How many people are to be on site for those two days? 10?)
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We got quoted £4,000 for a 3 bed semi in the south west.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    And that was without the garage. same kind of work as the rest though.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • king132
    king132 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm Midlands and jusy had my first fix - i'm paying 3.6k for a full rewire of my existing 3 bed with new wiring to a two storey extension and single storey extension incl network cabling.

If you are re-wiring you may want to consider adding network cables (Cat 6/7) into the re-wire. Most modern TV's/ Sat boxes/ heating Thermostats require Ethernet so having network cables put into your walls will future-proof any new technologies you have.

You can pick up a 50m reel off eBay for around £60 - get your installer to wire it up as well at the same time
  • basiluk
    basiluk Posts: 33 Forumite
    £3k is unrealistically low for this work. 2 days is way too short a time frame unless it is three people plus?

Please don't buy cable from Ebay, but it from an approved supplier where you know the quality will meet British standards.
  • Sounds reasonable. I think Scottish Building Regs now require a heat detector in the kitchen as well as smoke detectors elsewhere.

Put the garage feed on an RCBO rather than sharing an RCD with the house. An all-RCBO install might not be much more.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Always use a registered electrician;

In Scotland
    https://www.select.org.uk
    or
    https://www.niceic.com

In England and Wales;
    http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

I would personally use a small firm rather than a multi trades firm

2 days seems really short- unless they are blitzing it with labour

There are companies who say they carry out thousands of rewires, when you look at the figures the amount means they must have started at a young age.

I would suggest contacting your local council trading standards service after getting quotes but before taking someone on. You can ask if the company have any complaints.

Some councils also do a trusted trader scheme

Word of mouth can be good... not always excellent as problems can arise afterwards
    baldly going on...
  • pacman8
    pacman8 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I had a rewire done for my 2 bed house last year and it cost 3k. It actually took about 7 days but it was one guy (he had a helper for one of those days). Based in East London.
  • Following with interest. I had a quote of £4.5k for a 1930s 3 bed semi. Based just outside SE London Zone 5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure