Permissions (and regs?) for extension vs utility vs garage

Options
dunroving
dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
Would appreciate any advice as I progress to Stage 2 of my new house renovations. Have now had rewire, Ethernet installation, plastering, redecoration and new carpet in most of the house (bottom stair upwards).

Now I am looking at a kitchen and bathroom refit and to add what I currently refer to as my man-cave. I don't currently call it a garage as I have no intention of putting my car in it, and have no concern about resale value of garage vs. utility building.

I have a photo, but haven't figured out how to insert .... seems to be looking for a URL rather than folder location.

Basic background information:

Semi-detached house on fairly level plot. Most of the local semis were built with a single garage, although all (I think) have a covered walkway between the house and garage. This means that for most houses, the garages touch each other (i.e., have a common adjoining wall). The post code for the neighbourhood is B45 9QX, to give an idea via Street View.

The space between the side of my house and next door's garage is approx. 3.70m (12ft), and I'm hoping to build something about 6.70m long (22ft), running from halfway down the side wall, past the back wall about 3m. I'd rather not have the new building run the length of the house, as I'd lose a nice side window that brings light into the kitchen. I don't fancy sitting at the kitchen/diner looking out of the window into a dingy utility building.

A slight concern I have is that next door's plot is about 30cm higher than mine. I therefore can see his foundations for his garage ... which suggests if I dig foundations right next to his garage, it may compromise his foundations. I may therefore need to leave a gap between the side of my new "garage" and the property boundary, to not interfere with his foundations. Any opinions on this and effect on building res appreciated, though.

Re: Planning, I'm assuming there should be no objection to some sort of outbuilding, because most of the properties in the neighborhood have a garage in the same spot. However, would any of the following lead a local authority to scrutinise more deeply:

Calling it a utility building rather than a garage?
Having a personnel door instead of a garage door?
Including a toilet?
Including a shower?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

[Should have added that although the majority of garages on the street are in their original condition, at least two look like they have been converted - windows installed, etc. So presumably making it a habitable space [though not my current plan] might even be permissible]
(Nearly) dunroving

Comments

• troffasky
    troffasky Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 September 2018 at 4:59PM
    Options
    You need to upload the picture somewhere else before you can include the picture in a post, eg pasteboard.co.
  • dunroving
    Options
    troffasky wrote: »
    You need to upload the picture somewhere else before you can include the picture in a post, eg pasteboard.co.

OK, let's see if this works:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMR4mqN9-7ztdeBtkArTXbcm-UKyLw1r3cNTtio

It shows the view from the back of the property. The new "extension/utility/garage" will go in the gap to the right, from where the freestanding wall is (far side) to level with the nearside of the shed (which will be moved); also level with near side of conservatory. You can see the neighbour's garage/extension roof is at a higher level.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »

404. That’s an error.
  • troffasky
    Options
    It's asking me to sign in. Just google "picture paste", there are hundreds of sites you can upload pictures to fer nowt.
  • dunroving
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    OK, let's see if this works:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMR4mqN9-7ztdeBtkArTXbcm-UKyLw1r3cNTtio

It shows the view from the back of the property. The new "extension/utility/garage" will go in the gap to the right, from where the freestanding wall is (far side) to level with the nearside of the shed (which will be moved); also level with near side of conservatory. You can see the neighbour's garage/extension roof is at a higher level.

OK, let's try this one, then:

https://pasteboard.co/HFuYE4W.jpg
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    edited 25 September 2018 at 4:02PM
    Options
    Have taken a couple more pictures. This one shows the foundations of next door's garage, which the structural surveyor suggested might be compromised by digging new foundations (for my building) too close.

https://pasteboard.co/HFxh5RX.jpg

This one shows the front view, where you can see that next door's driveway (and therefore garage base) are higher than mine.

https://pasteboard.co/HFxhKDx.jpg (Not sure why, but Pasteboard rotated this one).

I've taken a front shot too, but need to figure out how to obscure my number plate. [Here it is]:

https://pasteboard.co/HFxjQwj.jpg

- shows the space is fairly narrow (3.70m) so I am reluctant to lose too much space at the side. The new building would run from slightly in front of next door's garage (might that be a problem?) to approximately 3m behind the rear elevation of my house.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're 7 minutes from my house :rotfl: I did know you were close, but that really is close!

You might want to read up on the permitted development rules on the planning portal.

There are some rules about proximity to boundaries and eaves height, but I expect what you want isn't a grand design and will fall under PD.

Anything that contains a shower and toilet is going to need planning permission as it won't be considered as an outbuilding or ancillary accommodation. You need to comply with Building Regulations also.

Building regulations apply to anything over 30 square metres, I think it's worth complying with Building Regs with anything of any size if you intend to insulate it etc and not just have it as a posh shed - whatever you build to building regs will add some value.

What you call it doesn't make much of a difference, the use does. Garage doors, personnel doors doesn't make much difference.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • dunroving
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    You're 7 minutes from my house :rotfl: I did know you were close, but that really is close!

You might want to read up on the permitted development rules on the planning portal.

There are some rules about proximity to boundaries and eaves height, but I expect what you want isn't a grand design and will fall under PD.

Anything that contains a shower and toilet is going to need planning permission as it won't be considered as an outbuilding or ancillary accommodation. You need to comply with Building Regulations also.

Building regulations apply to anything over 30 square metres, I think it's worth complying with Building Regs with anything of any size if you intend to insulate it etc and not just have it as a posh shed - whatever you build to building regs will add some value.

What you call it doesn't make much of a difference, the use does. Garage doors, personnel doors doesn't make much difference.

Thanks! BTW, I sent you another PM with a rundown of the people you recommended (all great, with a minor caveat about one ... but partly to be expected). I realise your Inbox is probably flooded and you deleted it before you even read it. ;-)

This build will be done at the same time as a kitchen and bathroom refit ... Is it worth contacting Mr and Mrs? Or is this type of job below your radar?
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I did get and appreciated it. Told the other half as well but I'm the absolute worst at replying to PMs and we were having a a blow-out in the middle M5 type of day as well. Sorry for not replying.

Nothing's below the radar for nice people but we have just had to let our plumber go and so we need to employ someone pretty sharpish. Everything else continues around it but I can't plan anything immediate that involves one.

I forgot to say about foundations - there a party wall agreement needed there and possible underpinning of your neighbour's wall if yours undermine theirs. You have the right structural engineering help, at least.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • dunroving
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Thank you. I did get and appreciated it. Told the other half as well but I'm the absolute worst at replying to PMs and we were having a a blow-out in the middle M5 type of day as well. Sorry for not replying.

Nothing's below the radar for nice people but we have just had to let our plumber go and so we need to employ someone pretty sharpish. Everything else continues around it but I can't plan anything immediate that involves one.

I forgot to say about foundations - there a party wall agreement needed there and possible underpinning of your neighbour's wall if yours undermine theirs. You have the right structural engineering help, at least.

Thanks again! Interesting to read your comment about building regs as I have had a nightmare with a Scottish council regarding a 20-year-old solid lean-to building that is only about 12 metres square. Long story, covered in another thread but still awaiting a conclusion (and will post details once the dust settles and everything is finalised).

No worries about not responding, I'm just glad you got it.

Will definitely be in touch via direct channels. This next job isn't a huge rush, hoping to develop the ideas over the next couple of months and fully understand that most competent people usually need several weeks lead-in between quotation and starting a job!

Will be in touch - but thanks for now for the preliminary advice.
    (Nearly) dunroving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport