Changing AP to a default?

Options
You all have been great and I have reached a bit of a sticking point.

Paid off a small debt the weekend, explained having the AP marker was detrimental, they never put a default on my file etc debated a bit with the poor guy on the phone and he sent my comments off to another department. He did say I stopped paying them 3 months before the DMP started and I asked why they didnt default me back then... part of his argument was they (PD Loan) did not have to legally report to the CRSs until 2015 hence I now have 3 years of APs rather than any reference to a default.

Received their email, saying the AP markers are correct and they wont change it, they will update the CRAs etc to say it has been paid in full and closed.

Was never advised by the DMC that there was a risk of an AP marker, nor did I know they existed until this year.

I only access clearscore where it shows as just being over 6 years in the closed accounts section, before it was showing as a loan and Noddle it shows in my current accounts section. But I do not know if it will vanish/move over the course of the next month or so. Both of these were checked before I paid it off.

So, I know it drops off 6 years after the weekend just gone, i've also read enough to know AP markers and mortgage applications do not mix too well.

Is there a template I can fire off to them to try and get it changed? Or is this something I will just have to grin and put up with?

Just trying to get everything looking a little better when it's time to apply for a mortgage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.

Comments

• If you were on an AP then it’s showing correct
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    There's a thread on here if you use the search facility; think the title was along the lines of Barclays AP removal with a letter template on there.

I understand where Gary is coming from but a few years ago I used it myself as I entered into a DMP and wasn't aware that an AP would cause more trouble than if my payments had defaulted after six months.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Hi MovingFowards :)

You want your creditors to mark tour files as defaulted, backdated to when you were 3-6 months in arrears. Your creditors would then be in full compliance with ICO guidelines.

See the thread linked below. Pay particular attention to post #4. I recommend directly quoting the ICO guidance when making the request to your creditors.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5598629
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Just to keep you updated.

I have fired off a lengthy email to the company refuting the use of AP markers, found it very interesting going through the ICO guidelines to use and back up my reasons.

Went down the:

1. never defaulted my account - they had no money from me for approx 4 months.

2. They agreed to reduced payment which should have reset everything to being the now agreed contractual amount.

3. Detrimental and credit history affected until 2024, compared to a person in similar circs but with a default.

4. Confirmed I would refer to the ombudsman.

For anyone curious as to why go through all this, I am looking to have everything (defaults/ccj) drop off around the same time so I can try for a mortgage. I am cleaning up my history whilst working on the present.

Will keep you updated when I get a response and/or have to escalate it so people have an idea as to what is involved.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 September 2018 at 4:31PM
    Options
    Points 1, 3 and 4 are fine and hopefully you'll get somewhere, but with regard to 2, a payment agreement never becomes a new contractual amount.
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    ZX81

I used this bit, as well as a few other bits, just tried to keep it simple when posting here, should I have success I will copy over the whole email/complaint.

"If after a period of time a permanent change in terms on an account occurs then if appropriate, the revised terms should be recorded at the CRAs and payment performance calculated against the new terms; in such circumstances there will no longer be an arrangement in place."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 September 2018 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Was it a permanent change though? Lenders generally state it is a temporary arrangement and subject to review, for this very reason, even if in practice it doesn't change. They need to be able to revert to the contractual amount as needed.

Still, probably doesn't matter too much as this point. Point 3 is the main one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure