Carers uk petition to raise carers allowance. Scotland now gets £8.50 more per wk.

Options

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pearl123 wrote: »
    Carers allowance is all that i can get. Take a look at carers uk or Alzheimers org uk forums to see the reality of caring, from the emotional, physical and financial sides.

Please don't get embroiled with Danday who is the resident disability/benefits forum troll.

It's difficult to be clear what he does and does not receive but it appears that he is happy to claim Carers Allowance while on a full CS pension and with a house in trust so he can claim Pension Credit

Some of the latest discussion about this is here if you have any interest

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5873409&page=2
  • Danday wrote: »
    You cannot put a value on caring. Most people care because they want to and have a need to. - much the same as people do voluntary work in the community - they don't want or expect to be paid - they do it because they feel a need to.

I can put a value on it, you seem to know the cost of everything but the value of nothing, carers some as young as 5 years old save this country BILLIONS of £ year after year, if they all went on strike for just a day then the whole social care system would collapse (its close to collapse anyway).
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2018 at 12:30AM
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    I can put a value on it, you seem to know the cost of everything but the value of nothing, carers some as young as 5 years old save this country BILLIONS of £ year after year, if they all went on strike for just a day then the whole social care system would collapse (its close to collapse anyway).
    I'm not disputing that and they do a fantastic job. At the end of the day not many carers do it for money - they do it because they want to.- because they care.

All I'm saying is that the proposal is that the government cough up another £55m a week to pay for the increase. Carers will never strike, and the majority of carers aren't interested in the politics of this demand.

What a difference it would make to the NHS or Social Care if this £55m a week did become available. Are you suggesting that it should go into the hands of carers instead of it being spent on hospitals and social care?
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    I'm not disputing that and they do a fantastic job. At the end of the day not many carers do it for money - they do it because they want to.- because they care.

All I'm saying is that the proposal is that the government cough up another £55m a week to pay for the increase. Carers will never strike, and the majority of carers aren't interested in the politics of this demand.

What a difference it would make to the NHS or Social Care if this £55m a week did become available. Are you suggesting that it should go into the hands of carers instead of it being spent on hospitals and social care?

Wow! Do you suggest people who have disabled children disown them so that they don't have to care for them?
  • Danday
    Options
    Towser wrote: »
    Wow! Do you suggest people who have disabled children disown them so that they don't have to care for them?
    Where has that come from? I have never suggested anything like that.

My opinion is that instead of handing out another £8.50 to carers, who incidentally probably don't care about any increase as they do the job in any event, it should be given to the NHS to pay for an integrated system of looking after the elderly.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 September 2018 at 6:16PM
    Options
    My opinion is that instead of handing out another £8.50 to carers, who incidentally probably don't care about any increase as they do the job in any event, [/QUOTE

Absolute, nonsense to suggest that carers don't care about an increase. I'd laugh if it wasn't so serious.

Clearly, you are not aware that millions of carers are living in poverty! Perhaps, you should do some research into carers and poverty! Plenty of sources bmj, the open university and various organisations. Plus various newspapers have covered the subject.

I've been a carer since I was 6 or 7 and I'm now in my 50's. I know how hard it is to live as a long term carer. It's not something I would have wished for myself or another people. Carers are long overdue a decent increase in carers allowance.
  • Danday
    edited 25 September 2018 at 12:10AM
    Options
    My opinion is that instead of handing out another £8.50 to carers, who incidentally probably don't care about any increase as they do the job in any event, [/QUOTE

Absolute, nonsense to suggest that carers don't care about an increase. I'd laugh if it wasn't so serious.

Clearly, you are not aware that millions of carers are living in poverty! Perhaps, you should do some research into carers and poverty! Plenty of sources bmj, the open university and various organisations. Plus various newspapers have covered the subject.

I've been a carer since I was 6 or 7 and I'm now in my 50's. I know how hard it is to live as a long term carer. It's not something I would have wished for myself or another people. Carers are long overdue a decent increase in carers allowance.
    From memory a single carer over 25 will be receiving about £110 a week + rent paid etc
    That to me is not poverty. Think about the homeless, the addicts, the broken ex service men and women that can't claim anything because they have no fixed abode but still need food and shelter - that is what I call poverty.
    What about the elderly who see no one from one month to the next that have to choose between a hot bowl of soup for dinner or switch the one bar electric fire on for a few hours to try to keep warm.
    Until you have seen and lived amongst those people then you will know what poverty is.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 September 2018 at 11:54AM
    Options
    [QUOTE
    From memory a single carer over 25 will be receiving about £110 a week + rent paid etc
    That to me is not poverty. Think about the homeless, the addicts, the broken ex service men and women that can't claim anything because they have no fixed abode but still need food and shelter - that is what I call poverty.
    What about the elderly who see no one from one month to the next that have to choose between a hot bowl of soup for dinner or switch the one bar electric fire on for a few hours to try to keep warm.
    Until you have seen and lived amongst those people then you will know what poverty is.

If you live with the person you care for one gets £64.60. Not a penny more! If a carer is living in their home then the figure will be different.

Call a carers helpline and ask exactly what a carer gets when they live with the person they care for. The answer is exactly £64.40, which is exactly what I live off.

"Until you have seen and lived amongst those people then you will know what poverty is." (Danday)

Regarding the above statement. Clearly you are trying to wind me up!

I hope people will sign the petition, as anyone can suddenly find themselves having to give up work to care for a loved one.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Clearly you are trying to wind me up!
    Our resident troll takes great pleasure in doing exactly this, or so it seems. Best thing to do is ignore the OP.
  • QuackQuackOops
    Options
    If you live with the person you care for one gets £64.60. Not a penny more! If a carer is living in their home then the figure will be different.

Call a carers helpline and ask exactly what a carer gets when they live with the person they care for. The answer is exactly £64.40, which is exactly what I live off.

"Until you have seen and lived amongst those people then you will know what poverty is." (Danday)

Regarding the above statement. Clearly you are trying to wind me up!

I hope people will sign the petition, as anyone can suddenly find themselves having to give up work to care for a loved one.
    If you live with the person you care for then sure, you only get that much, but there is added benefits such as housing benefit etc
    that the disabled person can claim....along with everything else.

If the disabled person got nothing, not one penny, and you got £64.50 (not a penny more) then yes, that would be hardship.
    But that isnt an accurate picture for most carers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure