Block paving price and question

Options
Hello,

I moved into my house last year and ever since, I've been wanting to improve the path from the drive way to house. I am conscious that replacing the path will then make my block paved drive that was laid when the house was originally built some 18 years ago, look rather rubbish. The drive is looking sun drained of colour and dirty, however it is still completely flat, I'm aware a clean and seal could spring life in it for 6-12 months but I'm now just thinking of replacing the lot.

Driveway measures 30.2 square meters
Path measures 6.4 square meters

Now time to talk about money, obviously the path will require a little more ground work as there is just flag stones down at the minuet but the drive should be somewhat ready to go? will it just require a scrape back of the sand and then re sand, compact and re lay?

What would you estimate the cost is for the above?

I've had two quotes so far. Quote one was just for the path as at that time I was thinking only of the path and that come in at £850. The second guy seemed real nice, but then gave me a quote of £3,995 for the drive and path to be done together. Also a separate quote of £1,900 for the path ALONE! He actually says in his quote for the path that its high due to his minimum order policy!! Get a load of that! Am I in the wrong for finding that path quote completely ridiculous?!? The overall quote seemed high anyway. I'm based in the North East of England if that has any bearing on price.

Builder one who gave the quote for the path alone at £850 which works out at £133 per square meter.

Builder two who quoted for path and drive at £3995 which works out at £108 per square meter.

Builder two also quoted for path alone at £1900 which works out at £297 per square meter.

In my mind I'm thinking the drive requires less effort and materials to complete so the price per meter should be lower.

A side question - After a new block paving drive is laid, does it require sealing straight away or what does it require? The drive is on a small gradient so there would never be any standing water issues.

Thanks for your help people!!

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Do the path in contrast so match does not matter.

if the drive is OK invest in a decent pressure washer and some new sand.

End result a pressure washer and money in your pocket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure