Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    nicdigby wrote: »
    Thank you so much you’ve been really helpful

When I ring the ESA helpline and they try to tell me I need to claim
    UC what do I tell them? “No I’m claiming standalone new style ESA and it doesn’t trigger a change to UC”? Or something else?

Claim new style ESA by calling:

Telephone: 0800 328 5644 (choose option 2, then option 6)
    Textphone: 0800 328 1344
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • nicdigby
    nicdigby Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »

And when they try to tell me I should claim for UC what should I say to make sure that that doesn’t happen ?
  • calcotti
    Options
    Also I just read that esa is reduced by pension payments. I received mine early on the grounds of serious ill health at 250 pcm. Do you know how much the ESA will
    Reduce by and is it still worth claiming given I will also lose my carers allowance?

Apologies I should have mentioned pensions. The ESA reduction is 50% of any pension amount over £85/week. A pension of £250/month (approx £58/week) will therefore be ignored - but you should still the DWP about it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited 10 January 2019 at 11:22PM
    Options
    And when they try to tell me I should claim for UC what should I say to make sure that that doesn’t happen ?
    If that happens just insist that you only want to claim UC and ask them to start the ESA claim process. Hopefully the person you ring will know what they are doing and won’t mislead you but it does happen which is why I wanted to prepare you.

You’ll be sent a claim form to complete which you will then have to take to a JobCentre along with identity documents. If it is not possible for you to get to the JobCentre because of your illness you may be able to get a home visit.
  • nicdigby
    Options
    Ok thank you for all your help today, I will update when I know more
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd suggest getting in touch with MacMillan who have benefits advisers. They are very good and will take the stress out of a difficult situation - especially, if you have to struggle with DW staff

https://finance.macmillan.org.uk/benefits/benefits-online
  • nicdigby
    Options

NeilCr wrote: »
    I'd suggest getting in touch with MacMillan who have benefits advisers. They are very good and will take the stress out of a difficult situation - especially, if you have to struggle with DW staff

https://finance.macmillan.org.uk/benefits/benefits-online

Actually I did do exactly that, three years ago when first diagnosed. They failed to tell me
    I was eligible for ESA
  • calcotti
    edited 10 January 2019 at 11:45PM
    Options
    Final thoughts for today.

One of the questions on the form you will have to complete asks about other benefits and you will need to list the Carer’s Allowance. If you are awarded ESA the DWP should stop your Carer’s Allowance automatically. If you have asked for the ESA to be backdated by 3 months you will be paid the difference between the ESA you were entitled to and the CA you actually received for this period. Nonetheless if you are told that you have been awarded ESA you should ring the Carer’s Allowance unit to make sure they know.

As for Carer’s Allowance, new style ESA is taxable and therefore counts as income for Tax Credits so you will need to tell HMRC when you make the switch. This might make a difference to the amount of Tax Credits you receive next year but you should still be better off overall. Your local Citizens Advice should be able to run a full benefits check for the two situations if you want to confirm things before you apply.
  • nicdigby
    Options
    Final thoughts for today.

One of the questions on the form you will have to complete asks about other benefits and you will need to list the Carer’s Allowance. If you are awarded ESA the DWP should stop your Carer’s Allowance automatically. If you have asked for the ESA to be backdated by 3 months you will be paid the difference between the ESA you were entitled to and the CA you actually received for this period. Nonetheless if you are told that you have been awarded ESA you should ring the Carer’s Allowance unit to make sure they know.

As for Carer’s Allowance, ESA counts as income for Tax Credits so you will need to tell HMRC when you make the switch. This might make a difference to the amount of Tax Credits you receive next year but you should still be better off overall. Your local Citizens Advice should be able to run a full benefits check for the two situations if you want to confirm things before you apply.
    Thank you very much
  • calcotti
    Options
    Having thought about it, even after you have increased your income by claiming ESA rather than CA I assume your total taxable income is still going to be well below the CTC threshold (£16,105) so you will still be entitled to maximum Child Tax Credits (about £780/month?).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure