Petcare While Moving

Options
We've moving house on Thursday and had lined up the inlaws to look after our two dogs from the morning of the move to the following day. Unfortunately FIL has been in hospital (happily he's going to be OK) but is understandably a bit nervous about having them around while he's still a bit unsteady. Other options (friends/family) are all either too far away or on holiday.

We have the option to take them to the house of a friend (who is away on holiday but fine with this) in the morning, visit them at lunchtime when we're on our way and then one of us would have to come back and collect them about 5-6ish. They are very lazy greyhounds so would be fine with being left - they'll just sleep.

We are moving about an hour away but coming back for them at that time would mean more like a 3hr round trip due to rush hour traffic in the city we're moving from. It's doable but not ideal on the day of the move!!

I've tried a few boarding/day care places nearer our new house but they are either booked up or it's too short notice as an intro session would be needed. Does anyone have any other ideas to make our moving day a little less stressful??

Comments

• SensibleSarah
    Options
    Tricky one. Personally I'd just take with me to the new house and set them up in an empty room with beds/water etc for a few hours until the main fuss has died down. If they are locked safely away in a room then you can check on them every now and again but I'm sure they'll be fine. Obviously this relies on you having a room you can pop them in for a few hours that you won't need constant access to when moving stuff in - which may not work depending on how your new place is set up.

I've done this with my cats previously and it worked out fine. Just stuck a big notice on the door (at both ends of the move) so the removal company didn't accidently open it.
  • chou-chou
    chou-chou Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Thnaks! This could be an option - don't know why I didn't think of it myself. Could still drop them off at friends house for the morning but pick them up once we're on the road and set them up at the new place.

Def not ideal as they'll want to be part of the excitement I'm sure but could save us 3hrs on moving day so sounds like a possible solution!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure