Anyone have any knowledge about term time only working and claiming UC?

Options
Hi, me and my partner work in schools, term time only.
We are paid for the full year, the pay is spread over the 12 months.

I earn £825 a month (before tax)
He earns £915 a month (before tax)

I am pregnant and baby due in October. We want to claim to help out with childcare costs.

Can we still claim universal credit?

Comments

• Sponge_Cake
    Options
    UC is the only option in our area currently.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So do you claim UC at the moment ? And if so, looking at your last UC statement what UC components are you being paid e.g Standard couple allowance, housing, children etc ?

Suggest you use a benefis calculator such as Entitledto or Turn2us. Register with them and then you can look at how changing income and circumstances change what UC pays.

Given the joint income per month, I am doubtful as to whether UC will be helpful. You might want to speak to a benefits advisor at CAB or other advisory service, to find out best way forward.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Sponge_Cake
    Sponge_Cake Posts: 119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We don't currently claim UC and we did an entitled to calculation and it says with a child we'd be entitled to about £500 a month with child benefit included. That's with putting in that we need to pay for childcare too and how much (I looked up local nursery costs).
  • Sponge_Cake
    Options
    I was concerned because of the term time only and whether they'd request we look for a better hours job because I read something like that somewhere.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Based on your monthly incomes, yes you might get some help from UC and childcare would be up to about £640 a month for 1 child. However you would report it after you had paid it and be waiting for your next UC payment date before UC paid you. Now if you paid the childcare on say 1st of the month within one assessment period, you could be waiting over a month before it is included in your next UC payment.

This might be OK if you have some savings to pay childcare and you can wait for UC to pay you.

Both of your earnings are less than National minimum wage per year which works out based on 35 hours a week as about £1100 a month. So yes both of you might be invited to Job Centre interviews at some point to discuss how you might increase your incomes. You would I think be in light touch so it would be pretty informal.

Some Job Centres in UC areas do run sessions to provide information or you can pop in to have a chat about UC. It might be worth you going into your nearest Job Centre and asking.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Sponge_Cake
    Options
    Thanks for that advice.

If we were to attend the job centre, how would that work around our current work hours? And would we need to prove we'd been looking for 35 hours worth of jobs as they request with JSA?
  • Sponge_Cake
    Options
    Can I ask what 'Light touch' means please?
  • Sponge_Cake
    Options
    @huckster Can I ask what 'light touch' means please?
  • Woolco
    Woolco Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    You would have to arrange an appointment at the UC Outlet outside your working hours. Please bear in mind that these offices are flooded with staff on temporary contracts. They are as new as you will be to the Universal Credit.
  • Woolco
    Woolco Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Light touch. This means a work coach will leave you pretty much alone. You are working and you allowance of UC is less. You will still have to see the work coach as they see fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure