Options
1235»

Comments

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pattypan4 wrote: »
    Amazon music had me bopping to reggae music this morning and will watch netflix later. Dishwasher is on and no shame in saying it is only half full
    We know how to spoil ourselves don't we? :o
    I was happy to be able to pay for a filling at the dentists' yesterday without worrying about where the money was coming from and enjoyed lunch out with friends today at a local garden centre! I realise that a lot of other people are struggling but feel that I've done my time and now is the time to be (a little!) frivolous!
    Yes, I've also decided recently to put the dishwasher on at a time that suits me rather than waiting until it's full! :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    little steps eenymeany. I am out to a small live performance tonight, I am glad I booked. Its all sold out. I have treated DGC to an echo dot each, they don`t know yet. I love alexa, she got me to sleep last night with zen, japanese garden for 20 minutes. Nothing spent today but another part dishwash load
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good for you Pattypan4 I hope that you enjoyed it. I started picking out a couple of events that appealed to me then sending links to friends and family asking if they fancied it? Maybe you could treat someone who you know isn't in the position to pay for tickets or offer to do the driving if transport is a problem? It's surprising how many people have taken me up on the offer and it has actually reunited some of the family who don't see each other very often. We have been quite diverse in our choices, ranging from a recent Drifters concert to a 'Last night at the Proms' at a local historic training college! I really enjoyed it and others said they did too and asked me to make sure that I contacted them 'next time' :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • moo121
    moo121 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Patty, I know you said you like horses but didn't want another. However what about a horse related activity?

Horse events for example - Horse of the Year Show, 1st class travel, nice hotel, best seats for the puissance? Off to the races perhaps?
    Horse volunteering - horse rescue, sanctuary, riding for the disabled - give your time as well as your money? Meet other horsey people?

I'm horseless too now, I don' want the tie or expense, but still love to watch them and be involved.
  • pattypan4
    First Post
    edited 28 October 2019 at 11:25AM
    Options
    Only spends have been on food and a stop with a dgd at a garden centre restaurant, paid ridiculour price for 2 cake treats and 2 drinks, won`t be doing that again. Frugal side to the fore, again
  • pattypan4
    First Post
    edited 28 October 2019 at 11:25AM
    Options
    I thought this article in the express was interesting. How much a single needs to have either a minimal moderate or comfortable retirement
    https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1193597/pension-uk-retirement-living-standards
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know why we older people have to have cruises constantly 'suggested' to us as if a cruise is the be-all and end-all. DH and I have looked at them, there are some cruise ships sail from Tilbury which is within easy reach of us. There are a lot of things about the whole idea which just do not appeal to us at all.

OP, you appear to have everything you need, a comfortable lifestyle and really, no need to worry about spending for the sake of spending. If you really want to get rid of some dosh, find a good cause locally - not one of the big national ones - an animal shelter maybe, or whatever appeals to you.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • pattypan4
    First Post
    Options
    MC, yes I don`t like cruises at all, tried one once. I am not spending now, yes I have a comfortable lifestyle as do many who have been careful but who knows what the future brings, best I keep a safety net just in case. Then much of what is left over will give the dgc a helping hand onto the housing ladder. Anyway I feel settled now, was not settled when I started the thread
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    peterbaker wrote: »
    Ha! Nor would I! Nor have I ever! But I would sit solo messing about up in the clouds more often if I had spare cash!

And the old body bit … we old blokes also suffer too, but I see more and more in their seventies regularly at the gym, and even more surprising, playing tennis too. Neither their bods nor minds seem to go to seed as fast as those that sit at home or get driven around on a bus.

I got told recently that regular tennis (an hour or two once or twice a week) can be expected to add 10 years to life expectancy. Having recently started lessons again, I do know it uses sixty some-odd year old muscles I hadn't used for decades!

Oh and if you were at all serious about learning to ski, better start toning up yours now at the gym ready for the start of the season and the snow train to the Alps before Christmas? :p

Gliding is cheaper than powered flying and because it is quiet gives you that amazing feeling of being a bird soaring in the sky.

I learnt to fly a glider before I learnt to drive a car :)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    re cruises.
    They are a bit like marmite- the love or hate thing. I don't actually think there is a middle way!
    Personally I love them,even if I am a poor sailor (how ironic is that??) and have to go off with my sea bands and travel tablets.

I like travelling to new places and maybe even seeing the same guests again and again but I can understand why cruising isn't for all.
    I certainly don't go on the floating shoeboxes!- 800 or under guests suits me fine.

One of the reasons is not only the chance to see somewhere new but to maybe learn a new skill at art / craft classes and to dance almost every evening.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure