TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

Options

Comments

• monyjoey
    monyjoey Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 27 August 2014 at 2:48PM
    Options
    This looks like a good and much-needed tool, but my first enquiry did not yield what I expected. Using origin/destination LTT MIA, travel date 02/10/2014 departing 8.47am, the quote for the standard fare is £21.30 (for an arrival time of 11.10am). The app fails to find a better split fare. However, through trial and error, I get a fare of £8.70 if I break the fare at HDG (per the trainline.co.uk or virgintrains.co.uk) for an arrival time of 11.17.
    Maybe I am not comparing like with like?
    PS. checking again, I have to deliberately route through MCO rather than MAN to make this work hence the different arrival time.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes you are making a slower journey with that combination.

Trainsplit offers a split at Newton le willows.

Booking engines tend to show the faster journeys only.

By the way are you enjoying your cheap fares to burscough junction?
  • monyjoey
    Options
    Yes, I'm daft really...2.5 hours for a trip that would take no more than an hour by road.

Not sure about Burscough Junction...I'm south of the Mersey.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 August 2014 at 9:54PM
    Options
    monyjoey wrote: »
    Not sure about Burscough Junction...I'm south of the Mersey.
    Yes but even if you don't cross the Mersey it's still much cheaper than the intermediate fares!

(Even if you're only going to Hooton! ;))
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 September 2014 at 2:27AM
    Options
    I checked Oxford to Warrington Bank Quay on the TicketySplit tool which came up as follows:

Oxford to Banbury Dept 13:36 - Arr 13:53 for £4.60

Change at Banbury, train departs for WBQ at 13:54 arriving 16:26, ticket costs £29.10. £33.70 altogether if travelling on 25th October. Though bearing in mind that this is for a single journey.

However, I double checked this on National Rail Enquiries and see you can get a train to Banbury from Oxford at 13:07 instead, arriving 13:23. This option would give you more time to change, approx 30mins or so, plus it would also save you an extra quid as it only costs £3.60.

Still, I suppose it's always best to double check National Rail Enquiries in the meantime just in case there are better deals that have been missed on TicketySplit.

Good tool nonetheless as at least it pulls up alternative roots for cheaper prices. This is of course handier than having to search ages for an alternative.
  • RPK
    Options
    Are you aware of another anomaly in thr great train ticket pricing fiasco. It can be cheaper to buy a ticket for a longer journey. For example,
    Bristol to Newcastle single £144.70
    Bristol to Alnmouth single, same train, 30 miles further up the line, £70.20. Less than half price.
    A friend recently bought a return Eurostar ticket as a through ticket from regional station (Bristol) and it was cheaper than the return fare from Bristol to London Paddington at the same time. From Bristol you have to change at London Paddington for Eurostar. So its cheaper to buy a ticket to Belgium than our own capital!
    RPK
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 September 2014 at 11:55AM
    Options
    RPK wrote: »
    Are you aware of another anomaly in thr great train ticket pricing fiasco. It can be cheaper to buy a ticket for a longer journey. For example,
    Bristol to Newcastle single £144.70
    Bristol to Alnmouth single, same train, 30 miles further up the line, £70.20. Less than half price.
    That £144.70 is in fact the price of an Off Peak Return ticket from Bristol Temple Meads to Newcastle... not a single as you stated.
    An Off Peak Single is £143.70.
    Similar tickets to Alnmouth are £145.30 and £146.30 respectively.

That £70.20 ticket you mention is an Advance Single.
    Note that it is possible to buy Advance Singles from Bristol TM to Newcastle at exactly the same price. That of course depends on your exact date and time of travel.

Remember that Advance Singles are only valid on the booked train.
    By opting for the cheaper price of an Advance Single ticket, you are sacrificing the flexibility offered by an Off Peak Single/Return.

So not only is your post factually incorrect, but you are not comparing similar products.

You also need to be aware that 'stopping short' on an Advance Single ticket is not allowed. So in your example, to buy an Advance Single to Alnmouth and alighting at Newcastle is, at best, a risky strategy.
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    You also need to be aware that 'stopping short' on an Advance Single ticket is not allowed. So in your example, to buy an Advance Single to Alnmouth and alighting at Newcastle is, at best, a risky strategy.

Indeed and with barriers at Newcastle you will get caught. Though I seem to remember a case where East coast dropped the extra charge made on someone who was stopping short but I think thats because the press were all over it. Not really heard of them doing so at other times though.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • MozartsForge
    Options
    I tested with Nuneaton to Norwich depart 0952 single £34.50 change at Peterborough.

It is cheaper to buy Nuneaton to Peterborough £9.30 then Peterborough to Norwich £12.00

TicketySplit came up with Nuneaton to Stamford £9.30
    Stamford to Norwich but change at Peterborough £23.20.

I have done this journey many times with tickets bought through the trainline.com. When tickets are purchased at Norwich ticket office they don't like it.
  • Thanks: I just had to shell out an extra £65 because the bloody thing doesn't default to today's date, so I arrived at the station to realise the tickets were for tomorrow..

Silly me for assuming that when it says 'Split on-the-day & advance tickets' you'd have used the same format as the app, you know, for walk-on tickets for travel today. I doubt I'll be the only person who makes this mistake: let me know when you clarify it on the site? I appreciate that Martin and team have saved me over £65 over the years, but this is a black mark!

Silky
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport