An MP wants to know your experiences of Pension Credit

Options
2»

Comments

• UKParliament
    UKParliament Posts: 749 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    On Wednesday 24 July, Chris Elmore led the debate on access to pension credit.

Introducing the debate he said:

“Pension credit is failing. It is failing the ballooning number of pensioners who are living in poverty across our communities, and the Government’s broken promise on free TV licences could be about to make things much, much worse […] the Government need to do a lot more to encourage pensioners to claim pension credit and make them understand that there is no stigma in their gaining pension credit.”

He paid tribute to those who made contributions to the debate online:

“I thank everyone who responded to the questions posted online or shared their views about them.”

Work and Pensions Minister Guy Opperman MP responded to the debate, setting out the Government’s position on the issues and updating MPs on recent developments.

You can read the full transcript of the debate on Hansard.

Watch it on Parliamentlive.tv

Read a House of Commons Library Briefing on current issues with Pension Credit.
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is failing the ballooning number of pensioners who are living in poverty across our communities

So, even though it was pointed out on here that he'd be lying if he said that, he still went ahead and said it.

-_-

Shouldn't really be surprised, I suppose. Even official consultations the government put out ignore dissenting opinions to the point where no-one even know they were submitted.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It would be interesting to know if the "hit the benefit claimant" culture of the last few years has increased the proportion of possible claimants who do not claim pension credit.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know if the "hit the benefit claimant" culture of the last few years has increased the proportion of possible claimants who do not claim pension credit.
    Does this "culture" actually exist or is it another myth propagated by the likes of those who think pensioner poverty is "soaring"?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure