Emigrating to Canada - holiday in US on the way - issues?

Options
I'm emigrating to Canada in January. I have a couple of weeks between finishing my work in the UK and moving into my new flat in Canada so I want to take a trip to the US for a couple of weeks and then fly directly on to Canada.

I will therefore be taking three large suitcases with my worldly possessions. I can foresee this potentially raising flags when I land in the US? I'll have my Canadian papers with me, together with my new job offer letter etc, and I'll have a one way flight booked to Canada at the end of my trip.

I will also have a return ticket to the UK as, ironically, it is cheaper to buy a return rather than a one way ticket. I obviously won't be using the return leg.

Should I expect issues when arriving in the US?

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Potentially massive but at the Canadian end - one of my lot did just this a few years back and ended-up having to rotate between Canada, the US and U.K. on a regular basis until the visa ructions were ironed out. Took what seemed like an age.

Lucky his new Canadian employer was good enough to hold his post open till he sorted out the mess.

Then he was able to start sorting out the issues with the classic car he bought in the US and wanted to ship to Canada.
  • bairn7
    bairn7 Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have all the papers to enter Canada, and the required travel permission (visa exempt). Surely it doesn't matter that I won't be entering Canada directly from the UK?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you have all the required papers I don't see why there should be a problem in having 2 weeks in the USA on the way.
  • sazaccount
    Options
    Technically you will be violating the rules of the US esta (if this is the waver you have) as you have to leave the "north Americas" including Canada and Mexico within the 90 days of the waver.

When you have your physical work permit for Canada this rule is waved but not before.

Personally I didn't have an issue going via the US to start my working holiday in Canada but there is always the possibility of an over zealous boarder agent.

Having the return flight helps if within the 90 days
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • bairn7
    Options
    Thanks

I have permanent residence in Canada, rather than a work permit. Does that make a difference.

And last time I entered the US I was asked to show proof of return trip. As I will have booked a return trip to the UK should I just show this or should I explain the true story? i.e. here is my return trip but I only have this because it was the cheapest option. Here is my onward trip to Canada, my PR documentation and my confirmaiton of job once I arrive, etc
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Personally, if asked I would always tell the truth. If you start lying & they ask further questions you will have to think very quickly to come up with (false) answer.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • bairn7
    edited 14 December 2019 at 12:44PM
    Options
    sazaccount wrote: »
    Technically you will be violating the rules of the US esta (if this is the waver you have) as you have to leave the "north Americas" including Canada and Mexico within the 90 days of the waver.

When you have your physical work permit for Canada this rule is waved but not before.

Personally I didn't have an issue going via the US to start my working holiday in Canada but there is always the possibility of an over zealous boarder agent.

Having the return flight helps if within the 90 days

Thanks. Can you please link me to where I can find this requirement? Everything I can find says you just need to leave the US within 90 days.

I want to do everything by the book so, if necessary I will return to the UK to catch a flight to Canada if I need to. Obviously I'd rather not do this!

EDIT: I FOUND BACKUP INFO NOW - LOOKS LIKE I'LL HAVE TO FLY BACK TO THE UK BEFORE HEADING TO CANADA.
  • sazaccount
    Options
    You could also go the tourist visa route for the US instead if using the esta, this (from memory) removed the need to leave the "north Americas".

Like I say I didn't have an issue at the US border or on my 3 other times though US immigration since, land boarder and twice as transiting though San Francisco to NZ and back
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would it be possible to go to Canada first and then do your US trip from there? You would need to find somewhere or someone to store your things but it would save you lugging three cases around while you are on holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure