Never informed of Claim against me?

Options
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on this situation.

I had an accident two years ago when I went into the back of another car, It was a very miner accident. No damage to my vehicle or myself as I literally bumped the back of the persons car as they slammed on there brakes on a slip road, I almost stopped in time only lightly hitting the back of there car.

The persons car was already heavily damaged especially on the rear of the car, this and the fact of the persons awful attitude I could see a huge claim up happening. I of course informed my insurer straight away and said I did not want to make a claim as I had no injuries and my car was not damaged I also sent them pictures of both vehicles also stressing the persons vehicle was already heavily damaged and I had a strong feeling they were going lie from there attitude about the severity of the accident. I did not admit fault only saying the person braked suddenly on a slip road.

Two years have now gone by and I very happily assumed no claim had been made as I had informed my insurance company and heard nothing back. I have recently moved to another insurer, I stated when taking out my insurance the date of the incident but did not name it as a claim. Of course a few weeks later they sent me an email informing me I had a claim against me that was my fault and I was charged a hefty fee and my insurance went up considerably.

Of course I was surprised and then spoke to my insurer of when the accident occurred, they said the third party had claimed against me and had been awarded over £7000 including injuries. I stressed that I at no point was I ever told the third party was claiming against me, I had no emails, calls or letters regarding it. My insurer is now telling me they had no obligation to tell me the third party claimed, only admitting I should have gotten a letter when the claim was closed in April of this year but I did not.

My problem is the fact that I had no knowledge of the claim so I was not abe to tell my new insurer so is there any truth in them saying they did not have to inform me? how would I know when taking out new insurance?

Thanks

Comments

• FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The question asked normally relates to claims, accidents or incidents - not just claims made, so you should have disclosed it in any event.

They can settle the claim how they see fit if you were clearly at fault.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You had an incident at fault (you went into the back of the car) which you informed your insurance about, of course you should have told your new insurer it happened, regardless of the merits of the case.

You have no right to tell the insurer not to payout for claims, it's their business to choose to pay, not yours.

It's your own fault for not declaring the incident happened to your new insurer, you knew it did and you failed to declare it.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    But doesn't the OP say they did tell the new insurer of the incident? He had not been told by the old insurer that a claim against him had been successful.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But doesn't the OP say they did tell the new insurer of the incident? He had not been told by the old insurer that a claim against him had been successful.

No he took out a new policy without declaring it, and then a few weeks later the new insurer informed him that he had a claim, presumably after a cue search through up the discrepancy.
  • danny1337
    danny1337 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2018 at 9:39PM
    Options
    FlameCloud wrote: »
    No he took out a new policy without declaring it, and then a few weeks later the new insurer informed him that he had a claim, presumably after a cue search through up the discrepancy.

I did declare it, I labelled it as an incident because that was the wording my previous insurer used. They said that was incorrect and I should have put it as a fault claim but I wasn't aware I had a claim against me so I didn't know. When I took out the insurance it said have you had any claims or incident I marked it as yes put the type as incident and put the correct date.

Also its not about telling my insurer what they can and can't do my question is do they really not have to tell me a claim was made?

Nasqueron wrote: »
    You had an incident at fault (you went into the back of the car) which you informed your insurance about, of course you should have told your new insurer it happened, regardless of the merits of the case.

You have no right to tell the insurer not to payout for claims, it's their business to choose to pay, not yours.

It's your own fault for not declaring the incident happened to your new insurer, you knew it did and you failed to declare it.

Ok I will break it down for you since you seem to be coming to some strange conclusions, I don't have a problem with my insurance paying out I didn't say anything about them not paying out. My question was is it true they don't have to give me any information at all regarding the claim?

I did tell my new insurer I marked it as a incident which was one of the options and was the wording my previous insurer used. I didn't mark it as a claim because I thought I had none against me......
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 November 2018 at 10:35PM
    Options
    It's ridiculous they didn't inform you of the outcome.

No damage to my vehicle or myself as I literally bumped the back of the persons car as they slammed on there brakes on a slip road
    Sounds like a classic crash for cash if it happened as you say.

You do have a dash-cam now?

Edit: What did the renewal letter show? Was your NCD correct?
  • danny1337
    danny1337 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2018 at 11:09PM
    Options
    It's ridiculous they didn't inform you of the outcome.

Sounds like a classic crash for cash if it happened as you say.

You do have a dash-cam now?

Thank you thats the part Im trying to find out about, I don't understand how someone can claim without you knowing whats going on and what they have said. If I had known I had a claim against me of course I would have put it on my new insurance details instead I marked it as an incident so I didn't try to hide it. My insurer just basically said no we don't have to tell you anything and my point was so how do I know if I have a claim against me and they just kept reading off a script.

Yes I was on a slip road merging onto a dual carriageway and they stopped suddenly right at the end of the slip road even though they had plenty of room to pull on and I was looking to my right to merge on as I looked back I didn't have enough time to stop, the car was very banged up before the accident you can clearly see its old damage and does not fit the profile of my car so they just had a huge claim up for injuries and everything, I doubt they did it on purpose but who knows.

I don't have a dashcam I should get one really Im a pretty safe driver have never had an accident besides this one but I know its better to have one for instances like this. My no claims was effected yes but in the renewal it was just listed as an incident, my price went up when I phoned them and asked why they said because you were in a incident so they used that wording too, I said but there hasn't been a claim and they said it doesn't matter so even all that time after I still assumed there wasn't a claim since my renewal came up 10months later. The claim was closed apparently April this year and I should have got a letter but I did not so I had no communication whatsoever from reporting it to basically now.

Pictures
    h ttps://imgur.com/a/jLMULnF
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 November 2018 at 12:46AM
    Options
    https://imgur.com/a/jLMULnF

Front of your car doesn't appear to "match" with the damage caused to his rear valance.
    they stopped suddenly right at the end of the slip road even though they had plenty of room to pull on and I was looking to my right to merge
    As I said earlier, classic crash for cash, that's how it works. Thought the insurance companies were supposedly stamping down on it. What company is it?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A few years ago a motorist let their car roll into the back of mine while we were at traffic lights. There was no damage whatsoever but we exchanged mobile phone numbers and I phoned my insurance company just to ask if I should report it, in case of any later claims by the other motorist. They said it was my decision but promptly put it onto MID (Motor Insurance Database) even though I had told them that there was no damage and I wasn't reporting anything and no claims were being made, it was just a query and not official. It remained on my personal record with MID for a number of years. May have been four or five, I can't remember. I never heard from the other motorist. But it was a no fault thing and my premiums did not rise. I didn't lose my NCD. The insurance company stressed that I would not be charged any extra or penalised but every time I applied for new insurance I had to declare it as an 'accident' although it never was and I would have been penalised if I hadn't declared it. Even when I changed cars it was still there. I always did declare it of course but once was accused of not declaring it, and that insurance company ended up paying me £50 compensation for making a false accusation. The point is that every time a motorist reports an accident to their motor insurance company, it will be registered on MID. And it will stay on there for years. So that even when a person changes insurance companies or cars, it's still there. You can't escape it and if you don't declare any incident, accident or whatever, insurance companies will chase you because it's a central, national database. You can also look at the MID yourself, to see what an insurance company has been up to, for a small fee. I can't believe that any reputable insurance company would simply pay out £7,000 without letting you know, though, especially as they said you were at fault. You should have been informed of that at the time, or even before it was settled. I'd have to complain, at the very least. You do have a right to know. On a personal level, it's going to take a lot for me to ever report anything to any insurance companies in the future (not just motor insurers) especially when the excesses are so excessive and keep rising.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    MalMonroe wrote: »
    A few years ago a motorist let their car roll into the back of mine while we were at traffic lights. There was no damage whatsoever but we exchanged mobile phone numbers and I phoned my insurance company just to ask if I should report it, in case of any later claims by the other motorist. They said it was my decision but promptly put it onto MID (Motor Insurance Database) even though I had told them that there was no damage and I wasn't reporting anything and no claims were being made, it was just a query and not official. It remained on my personal record with MID for a number of years. May have been four or five, I can't remember. I never heard from the other motorist. But it was a no fault thing and my premiums did not rise. I didn't lose my NCD. The insurance company stressed that I would not be charged any extra or penalised but every time I applied for new insurance I had to declare it as an 'accident' although it never was and I would have been penalised if I hadn't declared it. Even when I changed cars it was still there. I always did declare it of course but once was accused of not declaring it, and that insurance company ended up paying me £50 compensation for making a false accusation. The point is that every time a motorist reports an accident to their motor insurance company, it will be registered on MID. And it will stay on there for years. So that even when a person changes insurance companies or cars, it's still there. You can't escape it and if you don't declare any incident, accident or whatever, insurance companies will chase you because it's a central, national database. You can also look at the MID yourself, to see what an insurance company has been up to, for a small fee. I can't believe that any reputable insurance company would simply pay out £7,000 without letting you know, though, especially as they said you were at fault. You should have been informed of that at the time, or even before it was settled. I'd have to complain, at the very least. You do have a right to know. On a personal level, it's going to take a lot for me to ever report anything to any insurance companies in the future (not just motor insurers) especially when the excesses are so excessive and keep rising.

Firstly. Paragraphs.

Secondly, claims are recorded on CUE (Claims and Underwriting Exchange). MID is a database for logging and tracking insurance details, not recording claims.

Thirdly, what's to say a letter was sent from the insurer, and went astray, or was not opened and ignored?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure