Need a new laptop - suggestions please

Options
Hi there,

After a real problem with my last laptop a Dell Inspiron 7577 (see herehttps://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5924388) I'm now looking for a replacement laptop.

Ideally I would like to avoid Currys PC World as my view of them has been severely tarnished after my repair/refund experience with them but open to any other retailers. My budget is between £900-1,200.

As a Web Developer I'm ideally looking for something which will comfortably run Adobe Photoshop, Visual Studio and do some light video editing too. I may also use the laptop for some gaming so a decent Graphics Card would be welcome. As a guide, my 7577 had a Intel i7 7700HQ processor, 16GB RAM, 1050Ti Graphics Card and a 1TB and 128GB SSD, so ideally I'd be looking for something with a similar spec.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew

Comments

• WaywardDriver
    Options
    You're asking 2 questions - (1) what laptop and (2) where to buy?
    Re (1) suggest consider screen size - large 15/17in screen or compact more portable 13in one possibly with exterior monitor - latter would be my choice as an (amateur) web developer. Then look at makes - I have both Dell (refurbished business model) and HP Envy laptops and both comfortably run Visual Studio and SQL Server database.
    Re (2) - buy direct from manufacturer?
  • shak100a
    Options
    Hi

All depends on your budget no harm in getting a refurbished laptop so save some cash.
  • Shoxt3r
    Shoxt3r Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yeah exactly :). My 7577 was a 15.6" but due to the bezel and number pad it was more like a 17". It was also a heavy beast at 2.7kg.

I should have said it does need to be portable as I commute for 4 hours a day on foot so maybe a 15" maximum would be good and lighter the better.

Ideally I want to avoid laptops with a similar screen to the 7577 as I have a feeling I'll have the same "white spot" problems. For example the replacement for the 7577 has the same screen setup. Also I want to avoid touchscreens as I'd never use it to it's full potential and would be a waste of budget in my opinion.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Shoxt3r wrote: »
    Ideally I want to avoid laptops with a similar screen to the 7577 as I have a feeling I'll have the same "white spot" problems.
    If this "white spot problem" to which you refer is one (or more) 'stuck pixels' which remain white regardless of whatever is displayed, then this is a possible (but now infrequently encountered) feature of all LCD screens. Laptop manufacturers have said in the past that the user must accept a small number of these annoyances. Greater numbers might warrant a replacement of the screen.

Check with Dell on their policy, and Google for 'stuck pixel' to see if there is a way which could remove yours.

If the 'white spot problem' has nothing to do with stuck pixels, then I've wasted all these electrons!
  • WaywardDriver
    Options
    ... commute for 4 hours a day on foot ...
    Two laptops, one at each end of commute? One could be your current one or refurbished, located at end where lower spec less of an issue. But mightn't work if you want to play games at one end and video editing at other.
  • Shoxt3r
    Options
    Thanks John for your reply.
    Unfortunately they were not stuck pixels - more like blemishes. I could have probably lived with stuck pixels but as these "spots" were usually quite large (around 1-2cm) they were difficult to ignore, especially on darker backgrounds and medium screen brightness.

The blemishes also increased in number - the first repair there was one, after a screen replacement there were two and then Currys requested to get the screen and backplate replaced, after which point around 5-6 of these blemishes appeared, some of them around 2-3cm!

It appears that it is either something wrong with the screens themselves or the backplate which over time creates pressure points - as the screens are all plastic and flexible I'm not really surprised I had problems to be honest. Me, like many others when you search for "Dell white spot screen" appear to have had the same issues.

Regarding a replacement laptop (I managed to finally get a full refund on my old Dell) I have looked at Dell again, but focused on their XPS range as the screens are very different and also don't have an annoying bezel (I could live with it as I did with my last Dell). They are at the top end of my budget at £1,200 but do have the latest processors, lots of RAM and all without a touchscreen.

Dell have the XPS range as part of their Black Friday deals too which is why it's just in budget - £1,400 or so with £200 with a code.

Does anyone have any experience of XPS laptops or any other ones they can recommend?
  • Shoxt3r
    Options
    Good thinking but fortunately I have a half-decent desktop at home and work provide me with a desktop. I also have access to a work laptop but as is the way it's locked down with regards to software and hardware changes due to security/warranty.
  • WaywardDriver
    Options
    Dell XPS laptop is a Which Best Buy, comes with 256Gb SSD upgradeable to 1Tb (expensive). Maybe external hard drive better option?
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Good thinking but fortunately I have a half-decent desktop at home and work provide me with a desktop. I also have access to a work laptop but as is the way it's locked down with regards to software and hardware changes due to security/warranty.

Piecing together your posts, you have a desktop at home, a desktop at work and a work laptop, and you want another laptop to carry between your home and your work (two hours walking each way)?

As an alternative money saving suggestion, how about you buy a USB memory stick and use that to transfer your data between home and work, since you won't be working during your commute?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Shoxt3r
    Options
    Thanks Wayward, maybe it would be better to get a smaller SSD and then get an external drive for backups - less expense and keeps my data separate and safer.

Sorry onomatopoeia, I should have been clearer. I would need a laptop for my commute since the work one isn't suitable for personal use and I would be looking to work during my commute. Only part of my commute includes walking (about an hour or so each day) but I still wouldn't want it to be too heavy.

So in summary:

- An i7 or better processor
    - 16GB RAM
    - 1050 Graphics Card or better
    - 256GB+ SSD, ideally with a large secondary drive too but this is not essential
    - Decent screen with no flexible issues
    - Light and easy to carry in a rucksack (i.e around 2kg maximum and 15.6" screen)

Let me know if I've missed anything :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport