Switching whilst in the middle of a switch?!

Options
michaels
michaels Posts: 28,007 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I am part way though switching my gas supplier whilst keeping the same leccy supplier.

My leccy supplier has announced a price hike so I am now better off doing a switch to a dual fuel supplier.

Can I instigate the new switch now or do I need to wait until the first switch completes. I can't just cancel it because the cooling off period has ended.

It is only a week but I am worried the tariff I want to switch to won't last that long.
I think....

Comments

• t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can't switch again until the current switch is complete. I had this problem when a company took my gas by mistake. I switched the elec and switched the gas a couple of weeks later.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,007 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    You can't switch again until the current switch is complete. I had this problem when a company took my gas by mistake. I switched the elec and switched the gas a couple of weeks later.

Thank you

S8cr
    I think....
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 November 2018 at 12:23PM
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I am part way though switching my gas supplier whilst keeping the same leccy supplier.

My leccy supplier has announced a price hike so I am now better off doing a switch to a dual fuel supplier.

Can I instigate the new switch now or do I need to wait until the first switch completes. I can't just cancel it because the cooling off period has ended.

It is only a week but I am worried the tariff I want to switch to won't last that long.

If I understrand you correctly, I think there will be no issues with you immediately applying to switch your electricity supplier.

To clarify, my understanding of your position is as follows.

1. You are currently supplied with both gas and electricity, either on a dual fuel tariff (i.e. from the same supplier) or under two seperate contracts. (either from one or two suppliers)

2. You have already applied to switch your gas supply, but not yet done anything with regards to your electricity supply

If so, you can go ahead and you will end up with 2 separate energy supply contracts ; one for gas and one for electricity (which may or may not be with the same supplier, according to your choice)

If you wanted to switch your electricity to the same supplier as your gas and make it part of a dual fuel tariff, you probably have missed the boat ... but if you contact the new supplier to request this, they may be able to sort something out for you.
  • dont_use_vistaprint
    Options
    I switched OK from PurePlanet to OFTM whilst it was in progress with PurePlanet as they never actioned the switch, if its actually in progress might not be possible but worth trying.
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah, I just re-read your OP, and I now see another scenario :o

Perhaps your position is as follows:

1 You are currently supplied with both gas and electricity, either on a dual fuel tariff (i.e. from the same supplier) or under two seperate contracts. (either from one or two suppliers)

2. You have already applied to switch your gas supply to another supplier (X), but you now wish to switch both your gas & electric to a new dual fuel tariff with supplier (Y)

In which case, contact supplier X and cancel your application to switch your gas supply under the 14 day cooling off period.
    Once the cancellation has been confirmed, you can go ahead with switching both gas and electricity from from current supplier(s) to Supplier Y.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure