Possible Faulty HDD

Options
H_C
H_C Posts: 37 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi all,
I purchased a Seagate HDD (ST2000DM008) for my pc in March from Ebuyer. Since day one it was making a slight crackling noise when in use. I assumed it was normal and i could only hear it since i dont have a graphics card alongside it.

I asked on few other forums and someone responded that theirs also made the same noise and failed 8 months later. I have since contacted Ebuyer about a replacement however since it was past the first 30 days of purchase i would have to contact Seagate directly. So i did and they told me they do not replace HDD's for Brand new ones , i would be given a refurbished drive and that if i wanted to go ahead with their advanced replacement where they send the refurb out first i would have to pay for mine to be delivered to them.

I have the previous model of the HDD (ST2000DM006) and it doesnt make the noise. the only way i would know if the noise was normal or not would be to go ahead with the advanced replacement and see if the refurb drive would also make the same noise but then pay for delivery/return or buy another,

Essentially what i want to know is what my rights are with this kind of purchase and is what they have both told me correct and do i have to pay for delivery?

Thanks

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or you could run the drive diagnostic that they supply which will tell you if any faults have been found.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    Options
    Heresay on a forum isn’t proof of a fault - the sound could be completely unrelated and the other drive just failed.

If it passes diagnostics, it’ll more than likely be sent back to you.
  • H_C
    H_C Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Heresay on a forum isn’t proof of a fault - the sound could be completely unrelated and the other drive just failed.

If it passes diagnostics, it’ll more than likely be sent back to you.
    Or you could run the drive diagnostic that they supply which will tell you if any faults have been found.

that is true. I only recently purchased another drive to put my files on so i'll test the drive now.
    If it does come up faulty what are my options ?
  • owen_money
    owen_money Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    I've just changed my HDD to a SSD. It really is great, the pc boots up much faster and programs load in an instant and with no moving parts there is less to fail and is quieter.

Oh the reason I changed it was because of a failing Seagate HDD, it started making a clicking noise, which normally means its on it way out.
    TBH I'm not a fan of Seagate drives
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Seagate and a return is warranty and they can attach any terms they want including paid for return .

Your Consumer Rights are against the vendor EBuyer .
    See sticky top of the page .

Diagnostic can give error codes and Seagate will replace.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It could well just be a quirk of the exact model revision you've got. Run some tests and if they don't report anything abnormal then I wouldn't worry.

Seagate are pretty good at honouring the warranty on their hard drives. What's the warranty period? (usually 2-5 years depending on the model)

Magnetic hard drives are a complete lottery. Some will last 1 year with minimal use, some will last 10 years with extreme use. Seagate will just replace it with a refurbished model if it fails within the warranty period.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,568 Forumite
    Options
    H_C wrote: »
    that is true. I only recently purchased another drive to put my files on so i'll test the drive now.
    If it does come up faulty what are my options ?

The diagnostic generates an error and return code if its under warranty. Simply return for a replacement.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure