Amazon kindle eBook reductions, bargains, freebies - post your finds here!

Options

Comments

• pollsdolls
    pollsdolls Posts: 2,960 Forumite
    Options
    lotielot wrote: »
    I'm planning to buy one. Which kindle would you recommend and is there any good deals at the moment. Thanks.

I would recommend you buy a tablet and download the kindle app.
    I bought a kindle a couple of years ago, but recently bought an app. When I download books to my kindle it syncs with the tablet and so I have an automatic update. The app shows the books in colour so they do look more interesting. But also you have the versatility of the app as well.

Its a matter of choice I managed to get the tablet at a great price. Keep your options open, and enjoy your kindle books. :)
    ~ What goes around comes around ~
  • jbro
    jbro Posts: 898 Forumite
    Options
    I think it depends what you want to read.

I bought a Nook Simple Touch for £29 a few months ago - and use that with Calibre to manage my 'reading' books, which I tend to download from Amazon and convert for the Nook. I love the Nook as it's light, has a very long battery life and is really simple.

However I also have a Kindle Fire HD which I use for other books (and for web-browsing, email, Skype etc). The books I download onto this tend to be ones with lots of photos and which are enhanced by colour e.g. travel guides, cookery books.
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a Samsung 7" tablet, because someone told me I could download the kindle app, but I hated using it, it's way to heavy to hold when your trying to read in bed, then when your on holiday you can't read the tablet in the sun like you can a kindle. I also found the screen to bright to read.

I ended up going out and buying the £49 kindle, the basic one, which is lightweight and I get loads of use out of it, I have also downloaded the kindle app on my phone, and it's synced with amazon so the books go to both, then if I'm out and about I can also read on my phone.
  • Ms_Topaz
    Options
    I bought a Samsung 7" tablet, because someone told me I could download the kindle app, but I hated using it, it's way to heavy to hold when your trying to read in bed, then when your on holiday you can't read the tablet in the sun like you can a kindle. I also found the screen to bright to read.

I ended up going out and buying the £49 kindle, the basic one, which is lightweight and I get loads of use out of it, I have also downloaded the kindle app on my phone, and it's synced with amazon so the books go to both, then if I'm out and about I can also read on my phone.

I just have the basic one too. Poundland do a great kindle clip on lilght for if you want to read in bed or if travelling at night etc.
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Good-Lawyer-A-Novel-ebook/dp/B007OWO0YE/
    The Good Lawyer - 338 pages
    INSPIRED BY A TRUE STORY A young, ambitious lawyer is eager to prove he is better than the father who abandoned him and worthy of the devoted mother who raised him beyond the siren call of the mobster dominated family he grew up in.
    Working as a Bronx Legal Aid Attorney he learns how to twist the system, how to become an unbeatable defence lawyer, and he is peacock proud of his perfect record-not a single conviction. But it's 1982. The Spiderman rapist is on the loose and New York City is a city in fear. When an outraged rape victim commits suicide right before his eyes, searching for absolution, he grabs the headline case of a teacher's aide accused of molesting three students. Armed with a firm belief in his client's innocence, he knocks the pegs out from under the prosecution's case. When one of the children turns up dead, he discovers that his client may be strangely connected to the Spiderman. Digging deeper, horrifying revelations about his family's past collide with the true identity of the sadistic sociopath behind the Spiderman's rampage.
    In the process, this good lawyer comes face-to-face with his greatest conflict and deepest fear: to win, really win-save the city and even the woman he loves-must he sacrifice every principle he believes in and embrace his family's !!!!! past to become judge, jury, and executioner?
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Ep007
    Ep007 Posts: 621 Forumite
    Options
    Ms_Topaz wrote: »
    I just have the basic one too. Poundland do a great kindle clip on lilght for if you want to read in bed or if travelling at night etc.

I had the keyboard one but it kept freezing all the time so I just use the app on the iPad now and it is so much easier
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many Neil Gaiman books are £1.49 today which is a VERY good deal. Just in time to keep me going over the festive period :D
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, the latest children's book by Neil Gaiman is £1.09 today. This is a great price as it's the book, some videos and the audiobook too.
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options

When they work, or there not moving about, I ended up buying kindle cover from e-bay with a built in light for about £6 well worth it.

The weight of the tablet was the problem for me.

If your on facebook there is a wonderful page called 'we love memoris' there are a lot of authors on there who sometimes offer their books free or cheap and they do lots of links to books, it's a nice little page, well worth joining. it. x
  • Ep007
    Ep007 Posts: 621 Forumite
    Options

When they work, or there not moving about, I ended up buying kindle cover from e-bay with a built in light for about £6 well worth it.

The weight of the tablet was the problem for me.

If your on facebook there is a wonderful page called 'we love memoris' there are a lot of authors on there who sometimes offer their books free or cheap and they do lots of links to books, it's a nice little page, well worth joining. it. x

My mum who is 80 insists her kindle gets heavier when I load more books on it for her bless her....know what you mean about the weight of a tablet but as I have it in my bag already it saves the extra weight and space of a kindle too...and means I can use a smaller handbag some days
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback