Student loans and tax returns

Options
Hi all,

I'm filling in a self-assessment tax return, and one of the questions is along the lines of:

"Do you have an income contingent student loan on which repayment began before 6th April 2018"

Now, I do have an income contingent student loan, however I haven't yet reached the earnings repayment threshold, so haven't started to repay it. Based on this I was thinking I should click 'No' to this question, however that answer seems to make the system spaz out. It then asks me basically to justify why I'm disagreeing with HMRC's records, with the implication that they think I should be ticking 'Yes' to this box.

Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm filling in a self-assessment tax return, and one of the questions is along the lines of:

"Do you have an income contingent student loan on which repayment began before 6th April 2018"

Now, I do have an income contingent student loan, however I haven't yet reached the earnings repayment threshold, so haven't started to repay it. Based on this I was thinking I should click 'No' to this question, however that answer seems to make the system spaz out. It then asks me basically to justify why I'm disagreeing with HMRC's records, with the implication that they think I should be ticking 'Yes' to this box.

Can anyone advise?

The answer is yes. Your loan enters repayment on 6th April after leaving the course (and is written off X number of years after it enters repayment), regardless of whether you are liable to repay anything.
  • Steve_KK
    Options
    Also, if you are not sure call HMRC. I contacted them twice while filling in my self assessment and found them really helpful.

Regards,
    Steve
  • pink_pirlie
    Options
    If you're below the threshold I assume it says nil due on typur tax summary page, even if you click yes?
    There was a thread a month or so ago where someone was told by HMRC to put no even though they did have one. I don't remember the exact reason now. If it is coming up with a liability when it shouldn't... I would give them a call or chat via their website and see what they say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure