Don't go to a Council-run MOT centre if there's any chance of failing at all.

Options
124»

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

And no I'm obviously not going to be posting my car make, model, how much of a shed it is, what council garage this is, or otherwise stitching anyone up :money:
    Suit yourself, but if you share what car it is you might find out how to change the bulb.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    People driving with only one headlight are the bane in my driving life - well one of them. It leaves you wondering whether it is a car or a motorbike in your rear view mirror.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    People driving with only one headlight are the bane in my driving life - well one of them. It leaves you wondering whether it is a car or a motorbike in your rear view mirror.

If it is behind you why worry?
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Because motorbikes have a habit of overtaking suddenly. So you're waiting. . .
    You see cars with a light out all the time around here. Rural area too, so you often can't tell what it is.
    Bad maintenance. What else is wrong with the car?
    "I only drive it in the daytime so I don't need lights" is OK until the weather goes bad and you need them.
  • Mercdriver
    Options

It can cause hesitancy in some drivers. I will be more cautious as I know that a bike may overtake me on either side. Also, often people drive with both dipped headlights gone and all they have left is a full beam dazzling you.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Well if a bike is going to overtake then it's their problem not mine. Only thing i take note of is tailgaiting as I could come off badly by a sudden move.
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    Well if a bike is going to overtake then it's their problem not mine. Only thing i take note of is tailgaiting as I could come off badly by a sudden move.

You're missing the point. Read my post again and this time, think while you're doing so. ;)
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's such a reach: because I let a bulb burn out and tried, but failed to fix it, I must also let my fluids and air run low? Both get checked weekly, believe it or not. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone checking all their lights weekly as well, but for the sake of this thread I'm sure you're all whiter than white and do exactly that.

You just need to look online and see how the bulb is removed. If you can get into the back of the headlight with your hand then from then on its easy, the difficult cars are the ones where you can't easily get to the headlight.

But your not really helping yourself to show your a good car owner when you must have never read an MOT certificate because every one says you can take it in a month before and preserve the expiry date.

Plus your putting reminders in your phone to sort out small bits to pass the MOT test when you should be fixing the problems as they come up :rotfl:
    Okay that last bit is news to me - I always took it on the last day or after the last day for this exact reason

Just stuck one in for next year, along with a reminder to sort the small bits beforehand ;) cheers!
  • EpicFishFingers
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »

In fairness the sidelight wasn't burned out so you'd still see it's a car, it's not like one side of the car was completely dark (if it ever saw night driving anyway)

takman wrote: »
    You just need to look online and see how the bulb is removed. If you can get into the back of the headlight with your hand then from then on its easy, the difficult cars are the ones where you can't easily get to the headlight.

This was the first thing I did and sadly I just couldn't !!!!ing hack it :(:mad: shredded the life out of my hand trying, too
    But your not really helping yourself to show your a good car owner when you must have never read an MOT certificate because every one says you can take it in a month before and preserve the expiry date.

Admittedly I've let !!!! slide recently. Let the bulb burn out, didn't fix the cracked rear light housing until now either, there's a scratch I still haven't fixed, etc I read last year's certificate but obviously just missed this nugget of info, or forgot it.

Good news: aside from duff windscreen wipers, the car is tip top now. Although someone doored it... did you guys find me, by any chance :rotfl:
    Plus your putting reminders in your phone to sort out small bits to pass the MOT test when you should be fixing the problems as they come up :rotfl:

Well yeah, goes without saying. It's just to remind me to actually look, as much as anything, just in case the last look was weeks beforehand
  • tiggerbodhi
    tiggerbodhi Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 11:53AM
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    However every single driver should be able to check the basics of tyres and lights before an mot

Before an MOT, Should be checking Tyres, lights and fluids every week at least, Tyres I walk round check every morning, they are the little bits of rubber that keep you from whoever your god maybe!

And for not needing headlights in the daytime, guess it doesn't rain heavily where you live?

If you were stopped by a nice Policeman and your headlamps didn't work in the daytime its still an offence, yes they would be being pedantic, but hey everyone has a bad day and giving out three points can be cathartic...
    every time I manage to get one more breath into this body, I will sing a song of thanks to you my brothers, my sisters, my friends, may your sleep be peaceful, and angels sing sweetly in your ears.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure