PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying Leasehold House - Renovations/Extension query

Options
Hi

After some much needed advice as unsure how to proceed!

I recently viewed a leasehold house which has approx 950 years left .

We made an offer of £156,000 which has been accepted, but this house needs major renovation, internal and external and we would hope to put a single story extension on it pretty much straight away, as soon as planning permission was granted really.

My issue is the freeholder. Having to ask them permission for every little alteratiom puts me off as I have no idea the cost of this or what it involved.

Has anyone else built extensions or made major changes to thier leasehold homes? I would like to hear peoples experiences if possible.

Is this going to be a complete nightmare?!

We would hope to buy the freehold eventually , but again, its something I know nothing about in terms of cost/time/possibility.

Much appreciated for any input!

Comments

• troffasky
    troffasky Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After two years you have the right to compulsorily purchase the freehold:

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/houses-qualification-valuation/

Your best guide to how much this is likely to cost will be judgments from the First Tier Tribunal for similar cases near you. In every decision I've read, a long lease with low rent is effectively valued at £0 and "all" you have to pay is the freeholder is their costs [and you have to pay your own, obviously].

I found this guide easier to read than Lease Advice's:

https://www.pglaw.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/A_Short_Guide_to_Enfranchisement_Web.pdf

Before two years, you could try asking the freeholder what their price is?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maximus15 wrote: »
    Having to ask them permission for every little alteratiom puts me off as I have no idea the cost of this or what it involved.
    Have you actually checked the lease to see what you need their consent for?
  • Maximus15
    Maximus15 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I've searched the land registry and I've found out that 3 doors down purchased the freehold in 2013 for £850, which isnt too bad I guess, probably set me back a few grand with fees but worth it in long run.

I've heard conflicting info about the 2 year wait, someone has confirmed what you said, and that I would have to wait 2 year before applying , but another said that only applies to leasehold Flats, houses freeholds can be bought at any stage, confused!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Have you actually checked the lease to see what you need their consent for?
    ...............................................................................???
  • Maximus15
    Options
    Trying to obtain a copy! The estate agents don't have one, but assured me my solicitor would receive one in due course.

Few doors away have recently in the last 2 years built a huge 2 story extension on the side and extended out the back - They are leasehold so can't envisage any issues.

Friend recommeded I give them knock and just ask them if they had any hassle but its early doors and I dont know if this is too invasive? Some people are funny!
  • Maximus15
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    ...............................................................................???

replied below, sorry forgot to quote you in it.:)
  • troffasky
    troffasky Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've heard conflicting info about the 2 year wait, someone has confirmed what you said, and that I would have to wait 2 year before applying , but another said that only applies to leasehold Flats, houses freeholds can be bought at any stage, confused!

If you want to buy it before two years then you'll be doing it on the freeholder's terms.
  • arifmunshi
    Options
    You mentioned you searched the land registry for the freehold purchase prices, could you send me link on how to search for this please?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

To get the statutory right to buy the freehold, you have to own it for 2 years.

But you can informally negotiate to buy the freehold at any time.
    Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

The Leasehold Reform Act 1967 (the 1967 Act) gives leasehold tenants of houses the right to buy the freehold. The right to compulsorily purchase the freehold (and any intermediate leasehold interest, e.g. head lease) is termed enfranchisement.

A qualifying tenant must be the leaseholder of the house at the time of application and must have held the lease for the past two years.

Link: https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/houses-qualification-valuation/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure