Is it fraud?

Options
Beeweeaan
Beeweeaan Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi all.
First post and hoping someone can help me out.
Yesterday I tried to get a car loan but was denied so my mum offered to get me a bank loan in her name, I dat and did the whole application cos my mums not that tech savvy.
My phone auto filled in some of the information which I didn't realise and therefore became a mismatch of me and my mum.
One item being my mobile number.
Today sainsburys called and caught me off guard, thinking that it was a call for me so started answering their questions as me, only to part way through realise and ( I know I shouldnt) but I hung up.
An hour later another women called me from sainsburys saying that I'd committed fraud and blah blah blah.
My mum is fully aware of all of this and was with me while i filled out the information, I just did it on her behalf.
So ask sburys second woman has put the fear of God into me now as I should have just explained but she said I was impersonating my mum.
What can happen now?
Obviously my mum will back me 100% as it is just a mistake.
Can sainsburys contact the police? Is it fraud and am I going to jail?
Also they didn't say I was being recorded,is this mandatory?

Thank you
From a very silly girl. 😭

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, you're not going to jail but you need to untangle this mess before one or both of you end up with CIFAS markers.

Your mum needs to call them ASAP.
  • Beeweeaan
    Options
    I forgot to add they said they were going to call my mum in her landline straight away. I've spoken to mum and noone called.
    She told me not to worry because they cant prove anything, but obviously now I'm expecting the police to turn up at my door.
    ( I'm a drama queen sorry)
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did Sainsbury’s decline you for the loan first?
    If yes, then there is a bigger chance that you may get a CIFAS registration.
  • Beeweeaan
    Options
    Thank you, that's just what I needed to hear.
    I've sat and cried all night about it because I've never done anything wrong in my life, I've never even had a parking ticket
    B xxxxx
  • Beeweeaan
    Options
    No I hadn't applied with them because I knew I'd be declined.
    I had applied through a car finance company.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Beeweeaan wrote: »
    Thank you, that's just what I needed to hear.
    I've sat and cried all night about it because I've never done anything wrong in my life, I've never even had a parking ticket
    B xxxxx

Dont cry about it as whats done is done.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I might be just a chicken, but my farmer reckons that you'll be ok my dear. Don't worry, you won't be going to jail.

Your mum knew you were form-filling on her behalf.
    You're human - some details were incorrect, that's all.

I suspect they just wont give you a loan that's all. I'm no expert, but you might both get a black mark on your record I would think.
    No doubt more savvy posters will be along to correct what I've said, but I say again "don't worry". It won't solve anything.

Sadly I don't think it's that simple, op's mum needs to contact Sainsbury's and explain what has happened before (and I think this is likely) the OP has a cat 1 Cifas marker (will stay on credit record for six years) for impersonation, and the Mother has a cat 2 marker as a victim of fraud or maybe a cat 6 for allowing their details to be used by a third party.
  • Beeweeaan
    Options
    My mum has said she thinks they called me to try and scare me as noone has contacted her.
    Does anyone think this might be the case?
    Would the police get involved in something like this,?
    Should I be concerned about them turning up at home or work?
    Sorry to ask so many questions I'm just not good at this stuff.
    It was a genuine mistake
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Firstly know that you're definitely not alone in doing this, many people do the exact same thing without going into the finer details first - we call the research of those finer details as 'due diligence'.

This means that by not carrying out your own due diligence you are entering into something 'blind' - e.g. uninformed/ignorant of the facts, you've not read the small print (I know, I know, "no-one reads all that small print" - but you should), ignorant of the fact is never an excuse when the transaction goes wrong or you change your mind.

So, these transactions are legal forms and documents so do realise that one mistake or contradicting word or statement has an impact.

In the business world (and with money matters you/we are entering into the business world whether we like it, know it, or not) that will mean consequences when there are facts conflicting.

You're not going to prison, nor your mum, but, do go back to the applications and set the record straight rather than fleeing the situation because that will just appear suspicious.

By the way, you came to the right place for advice, there are great members here that can steer most people in the right direction - supply the full facts and you'll get the most help - might not always be what you want to hear but it's here if you ask.

Now make those calls :love:
    And, come back to let us know how it's going :)
  • Beeweeaan
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
    I've tried to get my mum to call but shes a bit of an ostrich. She said that I have nothing to worry about and I'm being silly.
    She seems to think that without her actually making an issue out of this that ot will just go away and that they tried to scare me.
    She said they dont even have my full name just my initial and surname, no date of birth, or address, just my telephone number.
    She said they wont be able to do anything.
    I think otherwise obviously or I wouldn't be here.
    I need to convince her to call them today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure