What do you have in your utility?

Options
We are completely remodelling our bungalow and are reviewing some initial plans from the architect. So far our plans have a nice main front entrance, through the hall etc and a 'muddy' entrance as I call it which would be a door into the utility and from there you can access the downstairs bathroom which would be a Jack and Jill type with an entrance from the utility or the main hallway and a door into the kitchen/open plan dining.

I'd planned the utility to have space for washer/dryer, a sink for more messy type things, some storage, e.g. vacuum cleaner etc, laundry. For anyone else with a utility, do you have a sink in there? Do you find a utility useful and is there anything else to include?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I would not want a door from kitchen/dining into a shower/toilet.
    J&J with the utility&Hall

Utility with access to outside and the kitchen space
    Boot, coat racks
    washer, dryer, laundry sink, bit of worktop space.
    consider a Victorian style airer
    extra fridge&freezer space and a decent sized walk in larder.

Consider purpose built plinths for the washer/dryer to reduce bending.

I do think we try to cram far to much stuff into kitchens.
    You can get a lot of the storage needs away from the kitchen space with a good utility/larder.

One thing I am undecided on is a dishwasher area in a utility or keep that in the kitchen area.
    With space 2 sinks one for clean/food prep one for dirty/washing up.
  • mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Try and make the sink as big as possible - think scrubbing oven racks etc.
  • Trixsie1989
    Trixsie1989 Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    We are buying a house and the utility currently has the fridge and washing machine in there and that's about it. Once we are in and settled we are going to extend it out further to create more space for the dryer etc
    Debt free finally :j
    First house purchase ... 2018 :j
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Our utility room is quite big, I've got a double sink (1 1/2 bowls) with drainer. The washing machine and tumble dryer are in there.

The dishwasher is in the kitchen because it has a d!cor panel on the front that entirely covers the door. It looks the same as the other cupboards EXCEPT that the handle goes the other way lol.

We've got 3 fridge freezers (don't ask lol). The staircase is also in there plus 3 doors - backdoor, door to kitchen and door to dining room. The room is nearly as big as the kitchen
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't have one but would want a nice deep sink in there.

I'd want a tall cupboard for things like mops and the ironing board, and some shelves deigned to fit a decent size washing basket - perhaps two spaces for things waiting to go in the wash and things waiting to be ironed. A mini washing line for odd socks awaiting their partner would be good!

I'd definitely agree with an airer (above the sink if possible, on a pulley).

Depending on how your household recycles, space for recycling might be useful.

I'd put a chest freezer in there, if I had enough space.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Consider purpose built plinths for the washer/dryer to reduce bending.
    I wouldn't do this unless you're prepared to lift it off for the repair man.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Forgot to say we've also got a double doored airing cupboard and a table in the middle to put the folded washing on when I take it out of the tumble drier.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In ours - boiler, washing machine, tumble dryer, beer fridge, huge shoe rack with welly sticks, coat hooks the length of one wall at normal and child height. Cubpoards and storage for laundry, ironing board etc. We removed our sink as it wasn't being used and I wanted a long worktop area for folding/prepping laundry. We do have a sink outside which we use for "dirty jobs" like paint brushes, welly washing etc. We have a full wall length drying area which means washing dries in no time as the boiler is in the room and it's always warm.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    A mini washing line for odd socks awaiting their partner would be good!

This is mine!

opmvt1.jpg

That white sock is my son's from UNI - I hope to never find it's other half, it's fit for the bin despite a 90 wash!
  • todayisagreatday
    todayisagreatday Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2018 at 4:45PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone that is really helpful and some things I've not thought of. We would have a door from outside into the utility and then a door into the downstairs bathroom and a door into the open plan kitchen and dining area. You wouldn't be able to access the downstairs bathroom/toilet directly from the kitchen/dining. You would have to go from the kitchen, back into the utility and from there. Or go back into the main hallway and access the bathroom from there.

We are looking at the Jack and Jill bathroom so you can access it from the main hall or the utility. This bathroom would be for one bedroom only and guests as the other downstairs bedroom will have an ensuite. Upstairs will be 'our' space with a bedroom, balcony, ensuite and dressing room and another room which will be as of yet undecided. Gym, study whatever.

Will definatly look at things like storage for mop and also muddy boots and a big sink too. I was adamant at a sink but the OH was not but I don't want to do messy tasks in the nice kitchen sink!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure