IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking appeal dismissed by independent adjudicator

Options
2»

Comments

• Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The operator is indeed PWE; trying to be opaque as possible as I’m given to understand that PPCs scour these forums for information in support of their claims.

Have you checked to see if Byelaws apply?
  • Snoopycat44
    Options
    Thanks Castle. I believe the land is owned by a private trust but I’ve written to the National Park authority to establish if any byelaws are in effect at the site.

I’ve also written to PWE to say that, in my opinion, the IAS response to my appeal is flawed and that I shan’t be paying. They don’t seem to accept that they have any responsibility to illuminate signage in order to enforce parking in the hours of darkness, and have simply responded to say that they will pursue via legal action or debt recovery.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    have simply responded to say that they will pursue via legal action or debt recovery.
    If you want to be arsey, tell them not to p|ss about with debt collector letters, but to get on with serving court proceedings so you can get this in front of a judge, where PWE can explain why they think that an unilluminated sign can create a contract in the hours of darkness and where the judge can read the IAS dismissal, then deliver a totally impartial judgment in this case.

Otherwise you’re saddled with debt collector hassle (letters) and the uncertainty of whether PWE will suddenly issue a court claim, for the next 6 years.

Never cower to a bully, smack them on the nose!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Snoopycat44
    Options
    Thanks for the sound advice Umkomaas. I did state in my e-mail to them that their only options were to cancel the invoice or take me to court, making clear that they should not share my personal details with any third parties but I guess it’s standard practice to threaten debt collectors in these cases. I’m going to ignore any further letters from them or their agents unless it’s an actual court summons. Cheers!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for the sound advice Umkomaas. I did state in my e-mail to them that their only options were to cancel the invoice or take me to court, making clear that they should not share my personal details with any third parties but I guess it’s standard practice to threaten debt collectors in these cases. I’m going to ignore any further letters from them or their agents unless it’s an actual court summons. Cheers!

Good option.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should also get in touch with the landowner if possible.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure