Unused Gift Cards sold on ebay query.

Options
Hi folks,

I was just wondering how listings like the following work

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-Gift-Card-Voucher-UK-45-Code-only-Please-read-full-description/202360293730?hash=item2f1d9d0962:g:ymkAAOSwhIZbGpJS

I don't understand the ins and outs, but surely listings like this are dodgy?

First of all, surely supplying codes digitally must be against some rules of ebay, and secondly, why would the code not be sent until the 29th August whether you buy it now or a few days before that date?

I'm asking this out of curiosity more than anything. It just all seems a bit sketchy and scammy to me.

Comments

• Gary123456790
    Options
    It is dodgy - the date thing will be so that you are too late to raise a claim. And digital goods are not allowed on ebay anyway.

Lots of their items say they come from China - i'm not sure if it is a hacked/sold account or what but its not good - should be reported to ebay.
  • sebsy
    sebsy Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah I've had a read of the policy once I found it in the meantime, and see it states these items must be physical and sent through post, not a code in an ebay message, which is what I thought should surely be the case.

Have reported them anyway.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Total scam - Do you honestly think someone has thousands of pounds worth of Amazon vouchers to sell legally ?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/steampunk_avenue
  • sebsy
    Options
    Well, no, clearly I don't which is why I actually say a few times in my op that it must be a scam and dodgy and was asking out of curiosity really more how they are allowed to be listed than anything.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I reported also - he may get them removed if enough folk report the items.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It!!!8217;s dodgy to the max!
    I hate people that con people!
    Reported too!
  • tomvox
    tomvox Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Certainly odd. It looks like lots of us have reported the listings but they still appear to be live.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He has already scammed £680+, I think I should quit my job!
  • sebsy
    edited 11 July 2018 at 10:39PM
    Options
    In my spare time today, I've been going after this seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-100-Gift-Card-Voucher-Please-read-full-description/263809546516?hash=item3d6c463914:g:1vAAAOSw2ilambZ4

Had three Amazon £100 gift cards for sale at £87. All with code to be sent via ebay message some time in October.

Spoke to Live Chat and they all got pretty quickly taken down.

He relisted one at £93 for some time in July but still as a code sent via message, so got that one taken down as well.

Now he has relisted again at £91 and he's actually listened and put it as a physical card, but won't be sent until a month down the line.

Spoken to live chat again and will see what happens. I don't see any need or reason why the gift card could not be sent immediately upon payment unless you are scamming and leaving delivery until a time by which it is too late to open a dispute. I'm not sure if that would work as it is listed as estimated delivery time of a few days in August after the item end date but just seems suspicious still. I mean, obviously the fact all his previous listings were clearly scammy will make this one suspicious anyway.

Perhaps he genuinely didn't know the policies, but I doubt that he doesn't genuinely know what he's doing with every fibre of my being.

I also mentioned during live chat that if you do a simple search of 'amazon gift cards' most of the listings are for 'code only' but it seems the special team ebay have for this sort of thing don't actually do much unless you get in touch with them over every dodgy item. Why they wouldn't just keep an eye on a sellers profile when it's clear they are selling scammy cards is beyond me, as they just put the items back up immediately.

They could surely just get rid of every amazon gift card listing by doing a simple search but nevermind.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sebsy wrote: »

Now he has relisted again at £91 and he's actually listened and put it as a physical card, but won't be sent until a month down the line.

Spoken to live chat again and will see what happens. I don't see any need or reason why the gift card could not be sent immediately upon payment unless you are scamming and leaving delivery until a time by which it is too late to open a dispute. I'm not sure if that would work as it is listed as estimated delivery time of a few days in August after the item end date but just seems suspicious still. I mean, obviously the fact all his previous listings were clearly scammy will make this one suspicious anyway.

Perhaps he genuinely didn't know the policies, but I doubt that he doesn't genuinely know what he's doing with every fibre of my being.

I also mentioned during live chat that if you do a simple search of 'amazon gift cards' most of the listings are for 'code only' but it seems the special team ebay have for this sort of thing don't actually do much unless you get in touch with them over every dodgy item. Why they wouldn't just keep an eye on a sellers profile when it's clear they are selling scammy cards is beyond me, as they just put the items back up immediately.

They could surely just get rid of every amazon gift card listing by doing a simple search but nevermind.

If the seller is now sending a physical item then it doesn't matter the date of delivery (apropos a buyer getting their money back) as eBay cases are based on the "actual or latest estimated" date of delivery. If you buy a physical item (as long as it is one that isn't prohibited) then you get eBay protection for 30 days after the "actual or latest estimated" delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure