Given counterfeit money for Private sale - any advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,259 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ricdan83 wrote: »
    Absolutely - They are determining right now whether it should be the Laptop or the money that should be replaced. If it is the latter it then does not become worthwhile with the excess I have.

The problem is that regardless of what they pay out, or even not at all, you need to declare the claim in future, so be careful when renewing insurance. Make sure whichever company you go to is aware that a claim has been made.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ricdan83
    ricdan83 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    It may be a dumb question but have you contacted the buyer? I doubt it would help but anything's possible.

The profile was deleted within a couple of hours of the sale. Again, my own fault for being naive!
  • wishuponastar
    wishuponastar Posts: 779 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I posted earlier and gave some advice about a pen, if you have read it, I hope it was helpful?

Was it paper or plastic notes? And what denominations of notes were they?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Supermarkets would also retain the note , just as the bank did.

Agreed - thats why you "test" one note - if thats a fakey then you will only lose that note.

The OP paid in all of them and had the lot taken away.
  • mandy44d
    mandy44d Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Agreed - thats why you "test" one note - if thats a fakey then you will only lose that note.

And what could you do with a load of fake notes? I'm guessing you'd look to pass them on to some other poor sod.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    ricdan83 wrote: »
    Thanks Everyone. The Police have said its a lost case, understandably.

Trying to make a case to claim it back through insurance, but that isn't proving easy!
    Why understandably? Counterfeit money is a serious crime, that causes innocent people and businesses huge amounts of stress and complications. Shouldn't they have at least had a look at the notes to see if there was any resemblance to previous fake notes they've come across?

Too much hard work for the boys in blue that, what with common sense being so uncommon amongst the British police.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Why understandably? Counterfeit money is a serious crime, that causes innocent people and businesses huge amounts of stress and complications. Shouldn't they have at least had a look at the notes to see if there was any resemblance to previous fake notes they've come across?

Too much hard work for the boys in blue that, what with common sense being so uncommon amongst the British police.

The police will often refuse to investigate fraud and fraudulent currency of a low-level / low-scale nature. The financial loss would have to be substantial enough to warrant an investigation.

Action Fraud UK was created to filter such reports based on their gravity score. The National Crime Agency will pass cases to the police, where there is sufficient grounds for it.

In terms of these fake notes, the circumstances of the OP's case wouldn't have been enough to warrant an investigation by CID or SCD 1.

On a personal level, I am disappointed at the lack of resources, however this seems to be the current framework until more funding is put into policing these types of crimes.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    T-G-C wrote: »
    The police will often refuse to investigate fraud and fraudulent currency of a low-level / low-scale nature. The financial loss would have to be substantial enough to warrant an investigation.

Action Fraud UK was created to filter such reports based on their gravity score. The National Crime Agency will pass cases to the police, where there is sufficient grounds for it.

In terms of these fake notes, the circumstances of the OP's case wouldn't have been enough to warrant an investigation by CID or SCD 1.

On a personal level, I am disappointed at the lack of resources, however this seems to be the current framework until more funding is put into policing these types of crimes.
    The problem is, I'm not convinced more funding would help low level crime.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    mandy44d said:
    foxy-stoat wrote: »

And what could you do with a load of fake notes? I'm guessing you'd look to pass them on to some other poor sod.
    I think knowingly using fake money is in itself an offence - so if the OP had used it in a shop to pay for goods, they would be committing an offence too.

There is also the point that their use of fake notes might have been detected at the point of sale, which might be a bit embarrassing... or possibly worse.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,259 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As this thread is over 2 years old I’m going to close it to avoid confusion. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure