Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mee wrote: »
    I'm not sure why your posts are aimed at me as I wasn't aware I had 'criticised' an account. I think I made it clear it is how I choose to use accounts and I do not think I was 'complaining' about my experience per se.

...another universe, another planet...

Post #6433, before you made it clear what you were doing.

But lets not argue about it, it isn't really the place.:)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Malchester
    Options
    adindas - it is easy to close an account but you have to ring up to do it, it cannot be done online. They will add any interest owed and transfer it to the new account instantly. In my contact with Tesco I said that it would be better to be able to close an account online and they said they would look into it. However, having to ring to close an account means they can try to persuade you to change your mind especially if you are leaving Tesco altogether
  • Malchester
    Options
    And it is only for one year

You are right adindas, it is only for 1 year but if you keep upgrading the account the 1 year starts again. I took my first account out in Jan 17 but by moving each time they bring out a higher rate the 1 year starts again so I am now OK up to Oct 18
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mee wrote: »
    Yes, ditto #6417. Agree to disagree, and I'll try not to give a view which is counter to your's in future.

My posts seems to have caused offence which was not my intention. Apologies to whoever felt they needed to report me.

I wasn't going to respond to your post yesterday because I felt it wouldn't add value. But in light of your edit and apology I would just like to say that it wasn't me who reported you, and no apology was required. As much as I found some of your side comments like "...another universe, another planet..." unhelpful, I wasn't offended to the point of reporting it.

You should also have no concerns about expressing views counter to mine. Things we say on here are usually a matter of opinion or preference, unless it relates to technical details of accounts. We are all entitled to our views, so long as they are accurate or appropriately qualified.

I said in post #6417 that personally I favour the Tesco account because "it is truly instant access". That is an opinion, which I feel is relevant where the account is used as a feeder to Regular Savers.

For example, if Virgin launched a new RS this afternoon it could be opened and funded from a Tesco IS account within minutes. If the same money was in Ford Money account, since the 2pm deadline has now passed the funds wouldn't be available to transfer into the new Virgin RS until some time on Tuesday, possibly not until close of business. To me that is far from being 'instant' access. Even though the interest loss is marginal.

So I would stand by my opinion that personally I favour the Tesco account because "it is truly instant access" - and the slightly higher interest rate is also currently a factor. :)

But that, and also nothing I've said, was intended to be a criticism of they way you prefer to do things or your personal choices. All I sought to do was to clarify why your experience of the Tesco IS account was that you couldn't do same day payments, and offer advice if appropriate.

I hope that has cleared things up and we can go back to looking out for the best regular saver accounts :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    There's a limit of 6 which isn't hard to hit if, like me, you open them at the drop of a hat to chase their best rates
    Blimey, I better do some housekeeping and close some of the older ones if that is true. I have 5 right now, might need some new ones if their rates improve again.

Are you 100% certain 6 is the limit?
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Malchester wrote: »
    I find Tesco IS a true instant access account, never had a problem transferring money to another Tesco account, or to an account outside Tesco immediately.
    I agree in principle - although I have never-ending trouble with the Tesco app. Transfers out to non-Tesco accounts sometimes work, sometimes they don't. I have particular issues with Barclays Bank and Nationwide.

Tesco have not been able to fix that bug for months. There is a reliable bypass though: transfers from online banking always work like clockwork, including to the accounts the app cannot send any money to.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    As certain as I can be. I've asked the question when closing the last 3 accounts and that was the unprompted response each time
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any chance that the discussion here could be more focussed on regular savers? :)

I keep getting excited about a new market beating product when I see the number of replies, only to be disappointed. :o

I'm sure the discussion of Tesco accounts is worthy of it's own thread
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Any chance that the discussion here could be more focussed on regular savers? :)

I keep getting excited about a new market beating product when I see the number of replies, only to be disappointed. :o

I'm sure the discussion of Tesco accounts is worthy of it's own thread

I agree. This thread is about Regular Savers. The clue is in the title. Have a thought for Special Saver 2 who provides a weekly update and has to plough through all these irrelevant posts in the search for the pearl of a new shiny market-leading RS.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Blimey, I better do some housekeeping and close some of the older ones if that is true. I have 5 right now, might need some new ones if their rates improve again.

I spoke to T yesterday to close a few accounts and they confirmed the max is 6.
    Free thinker.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport