facebook, instagram or something else...slightly confused as to the best platform to use?

Options
I have a new personalised range of items I'm soon to be selling, but it's been quite a difficult process to make and due to the small amount I will be selling at any 1 time (maybe 15) I just wonder what platforms are most suitable to market and sell through. I have a factory that makes part of the item and it takes them approx 7-10 days to send out about 15 items hence why I try to to order larger quantities as it can take far more time. When I receive the items back, I then use these to complete the finished piece which takes additional time. I originally was going to sell through my ebay shop but with no marketing and only max 15 for sale say every 2-3 weeks I wondered wether Instragram or facebook may be better. I have never used facebook and don't understand how to set up a business page then get followers. I have an instragram personal account only and constantly see products being sold through it. I've used etsy on a previous venture and found it slow but does appear good for personalised items. Ebay on the other hand has always been my primary business but I've seen a massive slowdown in recent years and often find people are only searching for regular items/brands using keywords, but anything that might be new & unique is that much harder to sell unless there is sufficient marketing behind it.

I just wondered on what people thoughts might be when selling items with no marketing and in small quantities.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,261 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Firstly whatever market you do decide on the issue will be payment. For PayPal seller protection you need to prove an item has been sent to the customer within 7 days of payment, fail to do that and you are no longer covered.

That's going to be an issue for items needing posting, I sell a fair bit via SHpock and Facebook marketplace and around 90% of my buyers will still only use PayPal for posted items.

Facebook marketplace is good, but on other forums there is talk of sellers being banned for all sorts of minor infringements although in fairness the most common is copyright Infringement. So be careful whatever it is you are having made you can legally sell.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • preable
    preable Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I would recommend shpock or fb market for best results maybe gumtree
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    I would not list the items unless you had them to hand. Advertising something that you may not have in your hand for a few days and then time to get it to the buyer could go against you.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Firstly whatever market you do decide on the issue will be payment. For PayPal seller protection you need to prove an item has been sent to the customer within 7 days of payment, fail to do that and you are no longer covered.

That's going to be an issue for items needing posting, I sell a fair bit via SHpock and Facebook marketplace and around 90% of my buyers will still only use PayPal for posted items.

Facebook marketplace is good, but on other forums there is talk of sellers being banned for all sorts of minor infringements although in fairness the most common is copyright Infringement. So be careful whatever it is you are having made you can legally sell.

How does Etsy get around this then? I was going to suggest Etsy as it is a personalised item, and as many items on that site are hand made there are 3 week or so ordering times
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,261 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lindens wrote: »
    How does Etsy get around this then? I was going to suggest Etsy as it is a personalised item, and as many items on that site are hand made there are 3 week or so ordering times

Most sellers on etsy take etsy payments not paypal- but if they do take paypal then the same rules apply. It's probably fine for the vast majority of buyers- but a scammer will of course know that they can use paypal easily without seller having any protection on long delivery goods.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure