Suspicions with buyer/paypal payment

Options
I sold my laser printer with all spare cartridges for £200 on ebay.

I stipulated that I only send to UK addresses.

Just now as I was on paypal getting the address to send to, I notice the named person had a long number with (Zambia) in brackets just like that. I then googled the address as it's one of those address with 'business park' on.

I typed the address into google and it belongs to a 'ishop worldwide limited' and their site seems to be about freight and giving it's customers uk delivery addresses. One of the sites they recommend is ebay.

I looked at the seller on ebay, they are based in Zambia and have 7 positive feedbacks (but don't leave feedback for others). That account has been registered since 2015 and other sellers they have bought from are mostly from China (only one is in UK).

I feel suspicious and worry they have paid me the £200 fraudulently. Are my suspicious OTT?

If I send to the address on paypal (using parcelforce tracking), I will be covered under seller protection right? What if it does turn out they used a stolen card to pay? can paypal claw the money back from me and I will have then lost the goods?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• RoyaleMale
    Options
    Me personally, I'd refund them.

It will cost you 20p in paypal fees but it's not worth the risk.

There are several scammers that use a Freight forwarding service, I had a similar buyer with low feedback who wanted me to send the item to a freight address, I googled the address and it had several negative reviews in regards to ebay sellers being scammed.
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    If you have proof of delivery of the item to the address given on the paypal payment, you will be covered against INR claims. You are not responsible for posting the item on to Zambia or anywhere else, and you're also not responsible for knowing whether the paypal account or funds in it are stolen. As far as stolen money is concerned, you've done your part of the security checks in making sure it goes to the paypal registered address. Anything further is the responsibility of the original owner of the account, or paypal themselves.

You would still be open to an "item not as described" case if it arrives damaged though.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RoyaleMale wrote: »
    Me personally, I'd refund them.

It will cost you 20p in paypal fees but it's not worth the risk.

There are several scammers that use a Freight forwarding service, I had a similar buyer with low feedback who wanted me to send the item to a freight address, I googled the address and it had several negative reviews in regards to ebay sellers being scammed.

I have sent several items to shipping agents and I don't think any of the buyers are necessarily scammers, just buyers wanting things that sellers don't want to bother sending outside of the UK.

OP, have a read of the sticky postage thread, if buyer claims INR then as stated above all you need is proof item reached the PayPal address (the shipper). If the buyer claims SNAD then you will have to provide shipping from a U.K. Address but buyer will have to get item back to the UK within the time frame allowed by eBay.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all. Decided to go with my gut instint and just cancelled the sale and refund the buyer.

Annoying thing is that I listed it on a 'maximum £1' weekend so will have to wait for the next one to re-list it.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    Thanks all. Decided to go with my gut instint and just cancelled the sale and refund the buyer.

Annoying thing is that I listed it on a 'maximum £1' weekend so will have to wait for the next one to re-list it.

Hopefully you choose a cancellation reason that didn't get you a defect, also remember buyer can still leave feedback and/or complain to eBay that you refused to sell to them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't remember what options I got, but I chose the one that said 'having issues with buyers address' or similar wording.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure