Can an item be swapped at the Post office?

Options
So here is my story.

Agreed to purchase an iphone via Facebook Marketplace. Paid for via Paypal in order to ensure i could raise a dispute should something happen.

The sender took it to a small post office and asked for it to be sent by SD. They asked him what it was and told him the service to use which turns out was just 1st Parcels.
He had the address label printed and they stuck it onto the jiffy bag for him. When i was given the reference it didnt look right as in what normal SD reference are formatted as.

Today the item arrived and it was not an iphone (it was a candle holder).

My first thought that I had been scammed and was about to raise a dispute on Paypal and expected the sender to have blocked me or not respond. He came back to me and was not happy with this and thinks they may have swapped the item as they knew it was an iphone.

The jiffy bag I received was not the one he used and the address was written incorrectly with my name also incorrect. The word iphone was also scribbled in small writing below the address. The weight on the label is 400g but the item weighs 445g.

I'm not sure if this is a scam by the sender has he has been cooperating with me all day and is talking about going to the police. He also has other items for sale.

He went back to the PO today and the guy that served him yesterday was not working. They said that they have CCTV but the manager was the only person that could access it and he was not around. i'll give it a couple of days and then dispute with paypal.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• verybigchris
    Options
    Dispute it now. Even in the highly unlikely event that he's being genuine, it's still up to him to refund in full and then chase it himself with the PO - that's not your problem.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably done this to lots of people, and is trying to drag it out as long as possible before the Paypal account he's using gets locked down. If that's the case, the sooner his victims raise disputes, the sooner he's put out of business.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    You have 180 days from purchase to dispute the transaction with Paypal as a SNAD (significantly not as described) assuming you paid for the item as goods/services or as a named invoice.

Google Paypal RETURNS ON US for a £15 contribution towards your return costs, which must be trackable online and with a signature if over £750 in value.

Ensure you adhere STRICTLY to the time limits and instructions that Paypal give you.
  • winter02
    Options
    Thanks both. I have the full facebook message conversation saved so will raise the dispute today. I agree that it's his issue and not mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure