MSE News: Asda HALTS trial of temporary £99 'pay at the pump' charge

Options
Supermarket giant Asda has suspended a new £99 pre-authorisation hold on the cards of customers who pay for fuel 'at the pump' after finding some banks may not be immediately returning money to customers, MoneySavingExpert can reveal...
Read the full story:
'Asda HALTS trial of temporary £99 'pay at the pump' charge'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well thank heavens for that. Stupid idea and not at all customer friendly.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised it ever trialled, to be honest. Few people have £99 in their banks, especially in the 2nd half of a month ....

It sounds like they failed in their negotiations with banks - surely an organisation that large would've started with the discussions at bank level to see if the banks anticipated any issues and what the processes would be in order to set up and be running .... and to hear any reservations from the banks who might have trialled similar schemes for other customers.

Somebody needs to send the trial organisers a picture of an 4rse and an elbow and ask if they can tell them apart.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    I would complain to to the banks for not returning money.

Con merchants !!.
  • joncombe
    joncombe Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This seems somewhat illogical. If you pay in the shop rather than at the pump, you don't have to prove you have sufficient funds to pay for the fuel before you fill up. So why do you need to if you pay at the pump?
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2018 at 6:27PM
    Options
    joncombe wrote: »
    This seems somewhat illogical. If you pay in the shop rather than at the pump, you don't have to prove you have sufficient funds to pay for the fuel before you fill up. So why do you need to if you pay at the pump?

Would assume it's to do with the high possibility of fraud loss.

Anyway in the shop if you use chip and pin they do check if you have sufficient money or credit in your account before the bank authorises the payment to the supermarket.

Also, in the shop they can call the own security and/or the police.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cannot recall the last time a tank full of fuel cost sub £100 ! If Asda will le me slap 90l of fuel in my car for that little, they've got a deal!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Would assume it's to do with the high possibility of fraud loss.

Anyway in the shop if you use chip and pin they do check if you have sufficient money or credit in your account before the bank authorises the payment to the supermarket.

Also, in the shop they can call the own security and/or the police.
    Which they could do if they changed the trading model of their petrol stations. Being cheap, stripped back and lean is one thing, but petrol stations that sell nice food are always buzzing with trade.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • lukeuser01
    lukeuser01 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    I would complain to to the banks for not returning money.

Con merchants !!.

That's exactly what I was thinking, the bank is clearly in the wrong. I wonder what bank(s) it is
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lukeuser01 wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was thinking, the bank is clearly in the wrong. I wonder what bank(s) it is

No money was taken as it's a pre-auth.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I filled up at an asda automatic pump on the 7th May. My card was pre-authed with £1 and turned to the right amount today. So as far as my experience goes this is a non story.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure