Broken Administrator chain

Hello
Seeking advice and welcome your constructive suggestions. My late brother was the administrator of my mother's estate ( she did not leave a will). He did not leave a will according to his children.
Can I take over matters to administer the estate and what should I do first please?
Thank you.

Comments

• Do you know how far your brother got dealing with the estate?

How recent was her death?

Assuming the estate was solvent, is there property (house, etc.) involved, large sums in bank accounts, shares, etc. or just small bank balances and the like? Has he applied for letters of administration, if actually necessary (depends on answers to last question)?
  • google executor chain(there is not one if intestate) one of the results will explain what needs doing.

I think(that's why I have said check) you have to apply to deal with your mothers unfinished estate.

What's left that needs doing with the mothers estate?
    (edit: not clear if the brother started on mothers estate?)

Spouse then Children get first call on administration for your brothers estate.
  • Thanks for replying. My brother died in 2014, he did have LOA papers and my mother had a house and a small bank account , not much else in assets. He did not do much as administrator to distribute the remaining estate.

My brother was divorced back in the late eighties.
  • Has the house been sold? If not, what's happening with it? Is it occupied or sitting empty?
  • You are correct Badger I am following from that thread.
  • The house is occupied with my awkward sibling not paying market rent! Almost living for free there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure