IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN from Smart Parking Limited

Options
2»

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 April 2019 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Common parking initials and acronyms are given in post 5 of the NEWBIES.

Double check the exact wording on the hire agreement. Check what is on the paperwork AND what is on their website as we have found this is sometimes different.

A parking fine and a private parking charge notice are completely different. One is official, from an official body and the other is from a completely unregulated industry.
    Check to see if the hire company are a member of a trade association called the BVRLA.
    The BVRLA have told all its members in a memorandum that they must not pay private parking charge notices, but must only pass the PCN details on to the parking company.
    Whilst they may charge for this, £30 is a lot of money for doing so. Double check whether the hire agreement (paper and/or online) mention this charge for merely passing on the information.
    If it doesn't, then you complain that you didn't agree to this, you weren't warned about it, and it is a hidden and therefore unfair contract term, which is unlawful.

Remind them that they have already unfairly charged you once so you expect them to refund the other charge as a gesture of goodwill.

Please do complain to your MP about this unregulated scam, both about the parking charge and about the unfair £30 charge for passing on hier details to a scam company.

Incidentally, I think your use of the English language is superb, and much better than we see from some people on this site for whom English is their first language.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EDIT: this is what the T&Cs of the hire company say:

You are responsible for all charges and fines issued as a result of you or your additional driver using the vehicle.
    Fines and charges could include:

- All parking fines and charges
    - Toll charges
    - Towing charges
    - Clamping costs
    - Traffic fines or charges
    - Speeding fines
    - And any other fines or charges

Regardless of the legitimacy of the words used, this does say that you are responsible for all these things. Not that an (excessively high) admin fee will be charged for sending a bit of information to a scammer. And you have taken charge of the situation.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    T&C in consumer contracts must be fair, asking you to pay an invoice for non existent damages is not. Read this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/unfair-contract-terms-cma37

Have you complained to your MP yet?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Duplicate threads have been merged and moved to the Parking sub-board.
  • JackBauer35
    JackBauer35 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Incidentally, I think your use of the English language is superb, and much better than we see from some people on this site for whom English is their first language.

Thank you!! :)

Hi guys, I just wanted to give you an update as Smart Parking replied to my appeal:

Dear Mr XXX

Parking Charge Notice Number : XXX

Thank you for your recent communication.

I have noted the points you raised and would like to confirm that we are cancelling the Parking Charge Notice.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Smart Parking Ltd

Great news! Now I just need to wait for the hire company's reply in regards to the administration fee.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Great! Easy when you know how, isn't it? :D
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • JackBauer35
    JackBauer35 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just received an email from the Hire Company:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your patience while we review your refund request. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this delay has caused, we can certainly understand your disappointment and we are happy to address your concerns.

Our Traffic Offence department have advice that we received a cancellation notice from the issuing authority, a refund in the amount of £30.00 has been issued and can take up to 7 business days to be reflected in your account.

So it seems they are issuing a refund only because of the cancellation notice and not because of the incongruence of their T&Cs as I've pointed out in my email to them, right?

Anyway, another great news! Thanks to everyone who helped me in this matter, you guys rock:beer::T
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, it might well be that they always refund the fee when a PCN is proved cancelled, which just goes to show the £30 is a penalty, unrelated to any 'admin'!

:D
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just received an email from the Hire Company:

Dear XXX,
    Our Traffic Offence department have advice that we received a cancellation notice from the issuing authority, a refund in the amount of £30.00 has been issued and can take up to 7 business days to be reflected in your account.

traffic offence ny a***

issuing authority my a***

lol

they really need to get up to speed on terminology and accept that private tickets are NOT traffic offences and not issued by any authority

well done
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done JackBauer35!!

Snowdonia is just wonderful, glad your stay there wasn't marred by the scammers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure