Car Insurance Cancelled

Options
My daughter took out her car insurance in 10/2017 when entering my details as named driver she entered Partner instead of Parent. The insurance company have written to us saying they’re giving us 14 days notice and will cancel the policy. Yes she should have read the policy schedule and contacted them to change it to parent but she said she never noticed.
Does anyone have any advice or experienced this?
Many thanks.

Comments

• ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would try to sort it out quickly by ringing Insurance company! Insurance cancellation is something you have to declare with every new insurance quote. A cancelled policy serves as a red flag and you may struggle to find a mainstream insurance provider to cover you in the future.
  • callie72
    callie72 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    unfortunately the office that handles this closed at 5pm so I!!!8217;m calling them in the morning, my daughter has already told them it was a genuine mistake and asked if I can speak on her behalf.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How did the insurer find out the truth?
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    How did the insurer find out the truth?

Because (at least where I work) most policies go through a validation process. Anything that looks odd is then investigated. They probably looked at the partner bit, saw the ages and thought it was slightly odd so looked into it bit more. You'll be surprised what information insurers have access to.
  • callie72
    edited 28 June 2018 at 8:41PM
    Options
    It wasnt a lie but a mistake, parent and partner are next to each other in the drop down box. My daughter also has dyslexic tendencies and for her glancing at the schedule she saw it as correct. The thing is there has been no financial gain from this, the change isnt material to the risk associated with the policy, I could understand them asking for a charge to correct the information but to cancel it seems excessive.
  • callie72
    edited 28 June 2018 at 8:41PM
    Options
    Does anyone know why wasn!!!8217;t comes up with numbers on my post - it!!!8217;s really annoying
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    callie72 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why wasn!!!8217;t comes up with numbers on my post - it!!!8217;s really annoying

Lots of threads on this in this forum:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It wasnt a lie but a mistake, parent and partner are next to each other in the drop down box. My daughter also has dyslexic tendencies and for her glancing at the schedule she saw it as correct. The thing is there has been no financial gain from this, the change isnt material to the risk associated with the policy, I could understand them asking for a charge to correct the information but to cancel it seems excessive.

Think you'll need to contact the insurance company and try and explain.
    Maybe offer to pay the extra it would have cost if there wasn't an older partner.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Has she been diagnosed as dyslexic or are you self diagnosing her? The former will help, the latter won't
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was there a question about where she lived and she forgot to say 'with parents' (if that's the case)?

Because otherwise I'm struggling to see how the insurance company has been disadvantaged by this 'misrepresentation' and therefore cancelling the policy seems disproportionate.

It'd be different if she'd called her partner a parent, because that would look like fronting.

I'd complain, citing the Insurance Act and insisting this was an innocent mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure