Out of Warranty LG TV - Argos

Options
Hi,

I purchased an LG TV around 2 years ago (only came with a year warranty) and last week it developed a dark foggy patch in the top right of the TV with a very fine line (almost like a hairline crack) showing underneath it. I have to admit I did press it a little to see whether it was a crack as I couldn't feel anything and it has since spread further (the hairline crack or whatever it is).

My initial thoughts were it was a crack but on closer inspection, there's no damage anywhere to the TV and along with the dark foggy patch, it leads me to conclude it's some kind of fault.

Given that I'm out of warranty, what would the experts on here advise me to do (It was an £800 TV at the time).

Contact Argos under the consumer rights law? If so, How should I begin the approach and what are my chances of success (has anyone dealt with Argos under the consumer law)?

Many thanks,

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    As it's over six months since purchase you'll need to prove by way of an independent report that this fault was inherent from the time of manufacture.

Once you do this you can contact Argos with your report who can then decide whether they'd like to repair, replace or refund. Be aware any refund can be reduced to take into account the use you've had from the TV.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The legal position is ... You have up to 6 years to pursue a claim for products breaching contract. Within 6 months of purchase/delivery (whichever was later) then any fault is assumed to be inherent and the seller must prove otherwise ... after 6 months the burden of responsibility switches to the consumer (to prove the fault was inherent - present but not apparent at the time of purchase). Such proof can be found by commissioning an engineer's report which finds (on the balance of probabilities) that the fault was inherent. (A seller may not require the consumer to obtain a report, but I suspect Argos will).

With an inherent fault then the seller must provide a remedy ... repair, replace, refund (their choice effectively). If they have required a report then they also must refund the (reasonable) cost of that report. Any goods more than 6 months old can be refunded pro-rata to account for time of ownership ... a 2-year-old TV at £800 would likely (at best) yield a refund of £550.
  • ImranBro
    ImranBro Posts: 30 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have any suggestions for who I might be able to use to get this report from please.

I live in London/Essex

Thank you.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ImranBro wrote: »
    Do you have any suggestions for who I might be able to use to get this report from please.

I live in London/Essex

Thank you.

Find someone local.

Bound to be someone you can use.

TV repairer but ask if they do the reports.
  • ImranBro
    Options
    Would it be worth just dropping Argos an email first before getting the repairer out? Or is this now a mandatory requirement.

I'm just thinking what if the repair man doesn't think it's an inherent fault.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Would it be worth just dropping Argos an email first before getting the repairer out? Or is this now a mandatory requirement.

There's no harm in emailing them but I doubt they'll do anything.

If the repair man doesn't think it's an inherent fault, it pretty much ends there. Before you spend time and money on that inspection, are you sure you've used it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions? Some problems arise when TVs are mounted using the wrong type of mount, or have been mishandled during mounting, or have been installed over a radiator or fireplace, etc etc. There's no point paying for a report to tell you something you've done to cause the problem yourself.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Then you will simply get a bill for checking it out, and to be honest don’t be surprised if he / she puts it down to impact damage because that is what it sounds like, so you will be gambling on a good outcome.
  • ImranBro
    Options
    There's no harm in emailing them but I doubt they'll do anything.

If the repair man doesn't think it's an inherent fault, it pretty much ends there. Before you spend time and money on that inspection, are you sure you've used it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions? Some problems arise when TVs are mounted using the wrong type of mount, or have been mishandled during mounting, or have been installed over a radiator or fireplace, etc etc. There's no point paying for a report to tell you something you've done to cause the problem yourself.

Hi,

None of these things. It's not wall mounted and neither is it anywhere near a radiator.

There an extension lead situated behind the TV which has around 5 sockets going in and if that can generate heat then maybe that might be the cause (but I find that very unlikely), other than that nothing else and yes it's been used to the manufacturers instructions.

Thanks,
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Panel (Screen) is faulty, the question would be has it suffered any impact? If not then yes it would be classed as an inherent fault.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi,

I purchased an LG TV around 2 years ago (only came with a year warranty) and last week it developed a dark foggy patch in the top right of the TV with a very fine line (almost like a hairline crack) showing underneath it. I have to admit I did press it a little to see whether it was a crack as I couldn't feel anything and it has since spread further (the hairline crack or whatever it is).

My initial thoughts were it was a crack but on closer inspection, there's no damage anywhere to the TV and along with the dark foggy patch, it leads me to conclude it's some kind of fault.

Given that I'm out of warranty, what would the experts on here advise me to do (It was an £800 TV at the time).

Contact Argos under the consumer rights law? If so, How should I begin the approach and what are my chances of success (has anyone dealt with Argos under the consumer law)?

Many thanks,

All LED/LCD/OLED screens are made up of multiple layers so it is possible that one of the internal layers is cracked so no damage would be felt on the surface. TBH that does sound like impact damage, especially considering it's coming from a corner. I suspect that you would be throwing good money away on an inspection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure