Future Finances: Time vs Money

Options

Comments

• thriftytracey
    Options
    mumf wrote: »
    I just found this thread.Only this morning my wife and I were discussing doing less hours at work.For me,by 60 at the latest.I am now 53.I have only just landed the best paying job I have ever had,and up until now only earned very average money.The trade off though is a lot of my time,and a lot of stress.I have set myself a goal of 5 years and no more at this current level.Nevertheless we own our house outright and we have modest pension provision.And no debt.

Like others here,I find the numbers on the retirement thread intimidating too. " I only have 1 million pounds invested and £900,000 in savings; can I afford to retire? " :rotfl:

So I shall follow the conversation,and perhaps I can add to it at times?

Congratulations on the new job. For the past few years I have been making much larger monthly contributions to my group pension and saving lump sums for AVC's. This has paid off as markets have been so favorable also the company I work for offer salary sacrifice pension contributions which works in your favour. I would recommend doing this with your surplus income. It was also useful because my salary was reduced and learned to budget accordingly, so much so that I am still saving several hundreds a month when there are no unexpected expenses. This has helped me adjust to having a lower income in retirement when I am hoping to retire next year (aged 59).
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Quick thought here for the poster with a revised State Pension Age of 64 years 10 months - don't budget in the winter fuel allowance this year in case it doesnt turn up.

When I reached my revised SPA I was expecting my £200 winter fuel allowance the first winter after that and didnt get it. Excuse = there is a technicality there re those born up to and including several days before I was born in the year I was born would get theirs - but I was excluded by 5 days. Had to wait until the 2nd winter after SPA before my winter fuel allowance started:(

Thanks for the info but it won't make a difference as DH already gets it so as I understand it I could only get £100 and then he would lose £100 so we wouldn't gain anything.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. I am enjoying it and rethinking when I can retire. I am a singleton with simple tastes and who knows what the future holds. I'd rather have less money and more time :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 July 2018 at 11:41AM
    Options
    Thank you for this thread SHY , l only wish you had started it a year ago when we were in a right state about retiring lol. It would have helped so much . We have both retired , DH 62 me 56 last year . I am on an NHS pension he is on a BT one & we have a good lump sum pot , currently in ISAS and bonds and savings accounts.,However we still have to pay for DD1 in Uni (24) doing a midwifery degree and other DD2 is working p/t and does not pay Board & Lodging (our decision we tried for years to have them , suffered infertillity and 2 m/c and feel that we didn't have them to profit from them and that we chose to have them so essentially they are our responsibility until the day we die. So we are happy to continue to support them financially.) They are well and truly spoilt lol. ATM we are managing on our pensions, nothing left after everything paid so we haven't had to access our lump sums , we are able to if necessary and actually figured in that we would be needing to in order to retire but as it happens we too are very happy living simply and don't spend a lot. So l can relate to your life very much.
    As for retiring and worrying about having enough money ? I read on these boards that if l needed more money l could always go back to work and that finally made my mind up. I think it was Lesson Learned who said that in the widow bereavement thread, so thank you Lesson Learned you were dead right !
    I can honestly say we have never regretted retiring, we love it . Another thing that has happened since we retired , a workmate of mine has just been diagnosed with bowel cancer and had a huge op for it she has been very poorly bless her and my DH workmate retired and suddenly dropped dead in his bathroom only 2 months after retiring , then another one of his colleagues committed suicide just before retiring and yet another one died from a heart attack recently, all in their late 50's early 60's. So we feel we definitely did the right thing for us. Hope all good .
    Our simple pleasure today is opening the back door of the utility room and watching & filming a cheeky young maggie come in and eat our cats left over food from the dish lol. Also discovering your thread and watching the highlights of the Hungarian Grandprix on C4 and the finale of the Tour de France ....Well done to GT such a legend!
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • ShyAndRetiring
    ShyAndRetiring Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 30 July 2018 at 2:26AM
    Options
    Hi Money and luvchocolate ...
    Quick thought here for the poster with a revised State Pension Age of 64 years 10 months - don't budget in the winter fuel allowance this year in case it doesnt turn up.

When I reached my revised SPA I was expecting my £200 winter fuel allowance the first winter after that and didnt get it. Excuse = there is a technicality there re those born up to and including several days before I was born in the year I was born would get theirs - but I was excluded by 5 days. Had to wait until the 2nd winter after SPA before my winter fuel allowance started:(
    If I remember rightly the winter fuel allowance is paid to if you have reached S.P age mid to late September.
    Sorry thats not really clear....if you reach SP age in August you will receive it but if Oct it will be the following year.

My father died beginning of October and when I informed D.W.P I was told it would still be paid as he was still eligible in September.

I donated this to our local hospice did not seem right to me.

Many thanks for these insights. These are all things to take into account and it's crucial to know when and how exactly they kick in.

This is a way off for us yet (assuming the government haven't done away with it by the time we're eligible) but I love the idea of this kind of info being shared on the thread for any and all of us, visitors and lurkers alike, to be able to access and take account of in our planning.

:T Thanks so for sharing. SaR x
    ~ * ~ "A goal without a plan is just a wish" Antoine de Saint Expuery ~ * ~
  • ShyAndRetiring
    edited 29 July 2018 at 4:46PM
    Options
    :wave: Hello all ...
    mumf wrote: »
    I just found this thread.Only this morning my wife and I were discussing doing less hours at work.For me,by 60 at the latest.I am now 53.I have only just landed the best paying job I have ever had,and up until now only earned very average money.The trade off though is a lot of my time,and a lot of stress.I have set myself a goal of 5 years and no more at this current level.Nevertheless we own our house outright and we have modest pension provision.And no debt.

Like others here,I find the numbers on the retirement thread intimidating too. " I only have 1 million pounds invested and £900,000 in savings; can I afford to retire? " :rotfl:

So I shall follow the conversation,and perhaps I can add to it at times?

Mumf, it's lovely to have you along and great to know that others find the thread (and certainly the theme of time vs money) relevant to their own lives. Please do add to it whenever you wish!

Congratulations on the new job ... sounds entirely sensible to have a time cap on it as you know it's going to be stressful. The fact that you're debt free and mortgage free should help to make those years good ones to save up for an early retirement in. Best of luck with the plan.

Congratulations on the new job. For the past few years I have been making much larger monthly contributions to my group pension and saving lump sums for AVC's. This has paid off as markets have been so favorable also the company I work for offer salary sacrifice pension contributions which works in your favour. I would recommend doing this with your surplus income. It was also useful because my salary was reduced and learned to budget accordingly, so much so that I am still saving several hundreds a month when there are no unexpected expenses. This has helped me adjust to having a lower income in retirement when I am hoping to retire next year (aged 59).

Absolutely agree with ThriftyTracey's wise words here ^^^ I'm also adding extra into NEST pension whilst I'm earning in the hope of bringing that DRD as far forwards as possible. That's something I'm doing as part of my own planning, ie: get paid, siphon some off into pension ... would it pay more to do it officially through NEST / employer, do you think? I may need to investigate this, thanks for the thought ThriftyTracey.

Also, I think 'managing without it' whilst paying it into the pension is a mindset which sets you good stead if you do decide to take the time (early retirement) rather than the money (making more for longer) later on. In all cases, opening up the options can only ever be a good thing! :)

Thank you for this thread. I am enjoying it and rethinking when I can retire. I am a singleton with simple tastes and who knows what the future holds. I'd rather have less money and more time :)

Thanks DoingItAnyway, lovely to have you along. Simple tastes count for a lot and knowing that you'd rather have the time than the money is a good starting point for that rethinking you're doing. Do you have a date / age in mind?
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    Hi Sukysue
    sukysue wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread SHY , l only wish you had started it a year ago when we were in a right state about retiring lol. It would have helped so much .

Glad to have you along Suky! Hmm yes, a year ago we were still shaking the dust off ourselves from the sudden downsize and OH's work situation going belly-up, but now the next phase of the plan has a thread and hope it'll still be of some help. Some lovely visitors are already sharing some very useful thoughts and information which already makes me panic less about balancing that time we want with the money we'll need!

We have both retired , DH 62 me 56 last year . I am on an NHS pension he is on a BT one & we have a good lump sum pot , currently in ISAS and bonds and savings accounts.,

Oooh, the ages there are interesting ... your age gap is pretty similar to ours and if I could bring my early retirement age down from the proposed 58 to 56 that would be grand! Good to know it can be doable.

However we still have to pay for DD1 in Uni (24) doing a midwifery degree and other DD2 is working p/t and does not pay Board & Lodging (our decision we tried for years to have them , suffered infertillity and 2 m/c and feel that we didn't have them to profit from them and that we chose to have them so essentially they are our responsibility until the day we die. So we are happy to continue to support them financially.) They are well and truly spoilt lol.

Aww, they're your kids and much loved, nothing wrong with that. If you can absorb their costs in a way that helps them out at the same time, why wouldn't you?

ATM we are managing on our pensions, nothing left after everything paid so we haven't had to access our lump sums , we are able to if necessary and actually figured in that we would be needing to in order to retire but as it happens we too are very happy living simply and don't spend a lot. So l can relate to your life very much.

:T Sounds like you have the budgeting firmly under control and have hit on the sweet-spot where what you have coming in is sufficient but you have a little behind you as needed. Especially if living simply and enjoying the time is what you wanted anyway.

As for retiring and worrying about having enough money ? I read on these boards that if l needed more money l could always go back to work and that finally made my mind up. I think it was Lesson Learned who said that in the widow bereavement thread, so thank you Lesson Learned you were dead right ! I can honestly say we have never regretted retiring, we love it .

LessonLearned makes some very insightful posts and is so helpful. I totally agree, something part time can always help out down the line as needed ... I think my OH mentioned there was something in one of the online papers today about older people moving into other part time roles later on in life, so opportunities are definitely out there.
    The key phrase there is enough money, I think. What's 'enough' for some to consider they're living well/comfortably is very different to what others consider enough - and well / comfortably are relative to experience too. We're all different, so it's good to be able to say, OK enough now for us and to take the next step. Glad it's working out for you.

Another thing that has happened since we retired , a workmate of mine has just been diagnosed with bowel cancer and had a huge op for it she has been very poorly bless her and my DH workmate retired and suddenly dropped dead in his bathroom only 2 months after retiring , then another one of his colleagues committed suicide just before retiring and yet another one died from a heart attack recently, all in their late 50's early 60's. So we feel we definitely did the right thing for us. Hope all good .
    Gosh, that's a shocking run of problems for people in your circle - it does make you stop and think doesn't it? Hopefully you'll both have many happy years of retirement ahead of you.

Our simple pleasure today is opening the back door of the utility room and watching & filming a cheeky young maggie come in and eat our cats left over food from the dish lol. Also discovering your thread and watching the highlights of the Hungarian Grandprix on C4 and the finale of the Tour de France ....Well done to GT such a legend!

Am with you on the maggie, they're such personalities! Thanks for joining in the thread too!
  • ShyAndRetiring
    edited 30 July 2018 at 2:33AM
    Options
    :wave: Hope everyone's having a lovely weekend!

It's been a pleasant weekend, but a quiet one on the future planning side, but it's never far from my thoughts at the moment!

* Spending
    Managed to spend less than anticipated on outing with family females yesterday, in all I spent no more than the £10 I'd put into my purse, so that worked well. It also helped that I offered to be designated driver for one of the car-fulls, so no costly alcoholic drinks, just soda and lime -cheap as chips! Oh, and chips!
    Some spends today though as we've had to buy logo'd items for the charity we volunteer with and both OH's and my items arrived for today's session so payment was due.
    So, no NSDs for the weekend, still 9/10 but just need 1 more before Weds to achieve the part-month goal of 10!

* Saving
    Not a lot of action since last post. We've started receiving the paperwork for the N'Wide Flex 5% account, so once that's fully open and I can access it online I can make the opening transfer and get that extra bit of interest.
    I was reading a post on the This is Money website about 'Micro-Fix' accounts which is quite interesting and offers insights into the future shape of savings planning. Of course, we've just committed to current savings pots, but is worth coming back to for another read next time a shuffle is due (or if a lovely surprise lands in our laps before that)! Especially as it fits in with OH's preference for not tying up the lump sum in fixed term pots for too long!

* Sorting:
    Was hoping to sort out a planter in the garden this afternoon but rain stopped play. Looking to get that done tomorrow or Tues as I've decided that August's sorting project needs to be to do with the darker side of the future planning ... more on that once we hit August!

I've thought of a kind of schedule across the months till the end of the year, so that I can focus on those things which are important for the future planning focus. At the moment it's all sorted in my head, but I'll write it down and share later in the week. Once again I'm indebted to all you lovely visitors who are contributing here as well as the inspiration on ExcelPaul's thread, it's all helping me to identify those areas of focus. ;)

:) Which leaves those Simple Pleasures for the weekend ...
    * Meeting up with family yesterday, lots of fun and good to catch up.
    * Contact from an old friend today, lovely to be in touch again.
    * Helping out (charity) and random stranger.

Wishing everyone a great week ahead, SaR x
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shy in my humble opinion ....YOU GOT THIS! Well done to you I am looking forward to reading and contributing to your lovely thread .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I've got some of the GC staying, they were here for 3 days last week and 5 this week. How do teenage or soon to be teenage boys eat so much? I've spent a small fortune, I think by September I might be a pauper! I do like having them though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure