Landis+Gyr Smart Meters - Which Enery Providers

Options
2»

Comments

• WayneB
    Options
    Thanks Trickytree1963,

If that's the case then that raises an interesting issue, as the original MPAN and MPRN numbers are no longer printed on the bill or on the new meters. They have been replaced with new smart meter numbers, so I would have to dig out an old bill or contact the supplier. It also means anyone taking over the property will have a lot of hassle finding those original numbers.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make sure the instaler is competent , fits it to the right standard and doesnt leave you with a roaring gas leak or dangerous electrics. Also do not sign any labels saying you have witnessed him/her doing x/y/z. It isnt your job to witness anything ,it is for him/her to do their work competently. This is another con going around.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • trickytree1963
    Options
    WayneB wrote: »
    Thanks Trickytree1963,

If that's the case then that raises an interesting issue, as the original MPAN and MPRN numbers are no longer printed on the bill or on the new meters. They have been replaced with new smart meter numbers, so I would have to dig out an old bill or contact the supplier. It also means anyone taking over the property will have a lot of hassle finding those original numbers.

They should be the Meter Serial Number ( MSN). The supplier can locate it on the National databases just from the MSN as well as by MPAN/MPRN
  • WayneB
    Options
    OK, well that's useful to know. However it does bring me back to the original problem that the MSE switch form has a fixed 13 digit format for MPAN numbers. I'll dig out an old bill or call BG for the MPAN number and go down that road. I guess it's not a show stopper just unecessary time and hassle.
  • keletkezes
    Options
    Semi-hijacking this thread to avoid starting another.

I had a smart meter installed by my small energy supplier (Robin Hood) and I'm moving to a small energy supplier who don't use smart meters (they're not jumping on the first-wave wagon), Green Network Energy.

Now I don't give a stuff about the 'your energy is costing you' part, because it is what it is. What I care about is being able to read the kWh amount for my almost-inaccessible gas meter (it's on the side of the wall almost under the kitchen sink, facing said sink). I used to do this with a little camera, but the flash will render the digital display unreadable.

So will my In House Display continue to show me the kWh readout I need to give my new supplier?

Also, in response to the MPAN stuff, I found it under the (i) key on my Display.
  • House_Martin
    Options
    What make of smart meter have RH installed ?
    Use a mirror to read the meter, far better than any camera , if its too dark shine a torch on the face of the meter.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Gas readings are never given in kWh but are measured by volume.
    The house display only gives an approximate kWh value for gas and that is only for the householder to have a rough idea of what they have used.
    But all energy companies need the volume used from the meter which is normally in m3 for modern meters.
  • keletkezes
    Options
    What make of smart meter have RH installed ?
    Use a mirror to read the meter, far better than any camera , if its too dark shine a torch on the face of the meter.
    No idea for the gas one. Electricity one says 'Secure' towards the top of the front, I think. But also relatively inaccessible. And I could use a mirror, yes, but I'm not sure my arms are long enough to reach in to do it, or press the button to show me, and I don't fit (with enough space to manipulate things) in the gap between the meter and the sink! Looks like I need a mirror on a stick or a persicope XD
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Gas readings are never given in kWh but are measured by volume.
    The house display only gives an approximate kWh value for gas and that is only for the householder to have a rough idea of what they have used.
    But all energy companies need the volume used from the meter which is normally in m3 for modern meters.
    That makes more sense: the kWh readout is miles out from what my Robin Hood account says I've used (by about a factor of 10) having investigated. I've used the reading on my Robin Hood account and given that to the new supplier.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 11:54AM
    Options
    Looks like you have the dreadful Liberty Secure electric meter, pushing button 9 gets the meter scrolling through too fast.If I remember right the Kwh read is on the 6 th page.I would video the whole lot if you can reach the horrible little keyboard.. This is how user unfriendly this meter is.
    I ve always used a cheap Ebay £1 Rolson extending mirror which extends around 18 inch, or the best one is f £5 from Clas Ohlson shop. I can reach every meter , and even press the button 9 with it..Its button 6 by the way for Eco 7 reads.
    The Secure gas meter gives the reading in both KWh and M3. The first screen can show either and a button can be pressed to toggle between the two first screen displays, not sure which one, otherwise its a press of button 9 to scroll through to see an 8 digit reading with M3 on it.. First five digits is the reading
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure