Help with financial phobia?

Options
Hi,

I'm feeling rather stupid about this but I've looked everywhere here and I don't know where to post. Is there anywhere on the forum that will give me tips on overcoming financial phobia?

I'm not in debt and I'm not wild with the credit/debit card, but I've become aware of a definite reluctance to review my bank statements, savings accounts, and leave envelopes unopened, to the extent that I'm having problems facing my SA tax returns.

It sounds silly but I'm getting much more stressed out about things than I should, and am frightened of getting into trouble with the authorities because of this, and things just seem to be getting worse.

Comments

• LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pay an Accountant to do it for you?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    to the extent that I'm having problems facing my SA tax returns.

Don't leave it - letters and fines from HMRC won't make you feel any better.

Do you need to have a word with your doctor?
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 December 2017 at 9:14PM
    Options
    Hi,

I'm feeling rather stupid about this but I've looked everywhere here and I don't know where to post. Is there anywhere on the forum that will give me tips on overcoming financial phobia?

I'm not in debt and I'm not wild with the credit/debit card, but I've become aware of a definite reluctance to review my bank statements, savings accounts, and leave envelopes unopened, to the extent that I'm having problems facing my SA tax returns.

It sounds silly but I'm getting much more stressed out about things than I should, and am frightened of getting into trouble with the authorities because of this, and things just seem to be getting worse.
    I am retired now and do not need to fill in a tax return. I miss it. I also love reading my bank statements and financial planning and have endless Excel spreadsheets that I keep amending. I really enjoy opening new banks accounts and savings accounts. I actually enjoy filing in forms.

Some may say that I have a problem but people are all different. You and I have quite different preferences but there are some things that we just must do. I probably need to get a life and you need to check your bank statements and complete your SA tax return.

If you really cannot face it you could try asking a friend of family member to sit down with you and help you. It is probably just the first step that is the hardest. Once you have done that it should get easier.

As for me, I am probably a lost cause but I am sure there is still hope for you.

Good luck.

PS: I should add that apart from financial matters, I am a serial procrastinator with loads of essential chores around the house waiting for my attention. Perhaps I need to enlist the help of a friend or family member. :)
  • batterybunny
    Options
    Thanks for your advice everyone. :)

I will speak to my husband about this - I've been trying to fix this myself and I guess I hoped that I could do this myself.

I think that I need to be organised - I really did wish that I enjoyed this. I will try to create some Excel spreadsheets (I didn't find an app to help with this I'm afraid).
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    I am retired now and do not need to fill in a tax return. I miss it. I also love reading my bank statements and financial planning and have endless Excel spreadsheets that I keep amending. I really enjoy opening new banks accounts and savings accounts. I actually enjoy filing in forms.

Some may say that I have a problem but people are all different. You and I have quite different preferences but there are some things that we just must do. I probably need to get a life and you need to check your bank statements and complete your SA tax return.

If you really cannot face it you could try asking a friend of family member to sit down with you and help you. It is probably just the first step that is the hardest. Once you have done that it should get easier.

As for me, I am probably a lost cause but I am sure there is still hope for you.

Good luck.

PS: I should add that apart from financial matters, I am a serial procrastinator with loads of essential chores around the house waiting for my attention. Perhaps I need to enlist the help of a friend or family member. :)

You sound just like me. I've lots of spreadsheets as well as using Ynab and I keep opening and closing bank accounts - 11 closed and 20 opened already this year.

My budget has plenty of money for the new sofa and bed that I need - but they won't buy themselves! Neither will my spare room decorate itself. Just hope I won't be saying the same things, same time next year.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • batterybunny
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Just to give you an update on this. I did own up to my husband and he was a gem. We opened all of the envelopes, only to discover that most of them were adverts or notices of changes to interest.

Nothing was really horrible, we just listed everything on a spreadsheet and he helped me to fill out my tax form.

I now have s system to open everything I get and continue to list everything on the spreadsheet.

Things were much worse in my imagination than they were in real life - I just had to grasp that nettle, which was the worst bit as the sting wasn't as bad as I had feared!

Thanks again.
  • RG2015
    Options
    Thanks for the update.

I have just read your first post and then realised that I have already replied despite having no recollection of this.

What I can say is that this is a classic stress response. The fear of what may happen is frequently far worse than what actually happens.

I am so pleased for where you are now and hope that this marks the start of a new era for you.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    You sound just like me. I've lots of spreadsheets as well as using Ynab and I keep opening and closing bank accounts - 11 closed and 20 opened already this year.

My budget has plenty of money for the new sofa and bed that I need - but they won't buy themselves! Neither will my spare room decorate itself. Just hope I won't be saying the same things, same time next year.

frogletina

I have an update too. I eventually bought not one but two sofas, but they are taking some getting used to. After looking for so long I think I gave up and bought too easily - I'm really concerned that I've made the wrong decision.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • RG2015
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    I have an update too. I eventually bought not one but two sofas, but they are taking some getting used to. After looking for so long I think I gave up and bought too easily - I'm really concerned that I've made the wrong decision.

frogletina
    Oh how familiar that sounds to me. But I always look to Frank Sinatra for consolation.

"Regrets, I've had a few
    But then again, too few to mention
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
    Each careful step along the byway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories