GDPR Non Compliance Scam

Options
Hi everyone,

I just received an email advising of action being taken against me (or at least a warning of impending action) from a website called noncomplianceregister .com,

They ask that I visit their site and enter my company name to see the actions taken against me.

Despite being belt and braces GDPR proof, I was intrigued and visited to find a listing of my company as being non-compliant.

This looks and smells like a scam to me. This is certainly not an information commissioners office site. To remove yourself from the site or pay for a compliance safety listing involves registration and I'm certain that further misuse of my data would occur if I did.

Ironic that criminals are using data protection legislation as a means to harvest information that can be sold or misused.

Anyone else have a similar experience of this?

D.

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    drstanden wrote: »

This looks and smells like a scam to me. ...

Apparently AMAZON ARE NOT GDPR COMPLIANT. In fact, everybody seems to be non compliant.:)

I'd report them to Action Fraud.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    I guess the fact that they've left the Lorem Ispum in their logo is a giveaway...
    http://www.gdpr prosecutionservice.com/
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • drstanden
    Options
    It looks like the site has now been closed down as it is unreachable. Definitely a scam.
  • riponian
    Options
    Site reopened and active as I've just had an email from them and checked! Site doesn't use a secure connection so they are noncompliant!! Definitely a scam.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    More generally, I can't see how anyone can tell if someone is not GDPR compliant unless you visit their office to check how they are storing paperwork or computer records.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    More generally, I can't see how anyone can tell if someone is not GDPR compliant unless you visit their office to check how they are storing paperwork or computer records.
    There are several ways in which to make your company non-compliant without even realising your doing it, Its usually front line staff training that gets a company in hot water with the ICO.

"customer to business via social media": I would like to know what data you have collected about me? in paper and CD format to my address (and sends a DM with address)".

Business: "I'm sorry we cannot accept social media requests for data held about you, you must go to our website and fill in our online form, be sure to state it is a SAR request because if this is not stated on the form we cannot process your request".
    I had this one recently from PlusNet broadband.

So the business on social media has just evidence they're non compliant

But I agree the above website is and smells of a scam I would forward it to action fraud
  • I just received an email purporting to be from a GDPR non-compliance organisation. What gave it away to me that it was spam is the wording on the final sentence of their footer...seen below:

"You will see listed on the report what you need to do to be GDPR compliant and receive a positive listing. You will also be informed of the actions that may now be taken against you and your company for non GDPR compliance.

This email has been sent to inform you that you have a negative listing on to the UK GDPR Compliance Directory.

There is no need to reply to this email.

Disclaimer: This communication is not a business communication and can be legally sent. It is a notification to advise you of action taken against you. There is no personal data involved with this communication. The UK GDPR Compliance Directory does not hold any personal data and displays only information that is already in the public domain and can be accessed and stored legally by any person who searches the ICO fee payers register for DPO’s and as such does not fall under the GDPR compliance law or the 1998 European Data Protection Act. It is a pubic service that is free of charge."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure