PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Indemnity and Boilers

Options
gaz2613
gaz2613 Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 22 October 2018 at 10:42PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all

Me and my partner bought a house back in May this year and discovered that the seller had no documentation for the boiler so ended up having to pay for an indemnity policy.

After completion and I had got the keys I decided to do a bit of digging and actually found all the manuals fir the boiler including the installation manual.

In there I found the engineers details and after checking the installation via the gas safe register and found it was never registered I contacted the company and they were really helpful and got the installation notified. Bare in mind the boiler was first installed in May 2010.

So anyone fretting iver documentation is worth seeing if you can track down the company that installed your boiler and see if they can notify it. I should now get my certificate through in 10 days and ill also have the peace of mind of knowing I have it for when I come to sell the house in the future.

Hope this helps someone. :)

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the seller had no paperwork for the boiler I am willing to bet he/she did not get it serviced ?
    Maybe have it serviced now before the cold winter and buy yourself a CO alarm to position close to the boiler.
    Maybe a few st620 smoke alarms from Fireangel ( which best buys for £17)
  • gaz2613
    Options
    You may be right. I dont think it was ever serviced either but I am already one step ahead and had this done already. I also had a MagnaClean Pro 2 fitted to filter the crud out the heating side of the combi system to keep it in tip top condition. :D
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not really sure what use or benefit there is in getting a 10 year old boiler notified.....
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gaz2613 wrote: »
    You may be right. I dont think it was ever serviced either but I am already one step ahead and had this done already. I also had a MagnaClean Pro 2 fitted to filter the crud out the heating side of the combi system to keep it in tip top condition. :D

At least you have given them something to do during the service then because there is nothing much to domain the boiler.

People seem to think it is like car servicing. It really isn't. There are no lifed items to replace nor items to adjust, etc.
  • gaz2613
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Not really sure what use or benefit there is in getting a 10 year old boiler notified.....

Just over 8 years but I have had 2 gas safe emgineers look at the boiler and they both commented how clean it looked under the front cover and even said its not seen much use over the years so should easily last another several years with annual servicing. Even the water in the heating was pretty clean.

I plan to move again in the next few years anyway so helps when selling having the certificate and a notified boiler also means insurance is more likely to pay out should the unexpected happen. Bottom line is it should have been notified in the first place.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dimbo61 wrote: »
    If the seller had no paperwork for the boiler I am willing to bet he/she did not get it serviced ?

It's not necessarily the seller's fault. We only realised several years after our boiler was installed that the plumber hadn't notified Corgi as it was then. Can't trace the plumber (arranged by the builder who built the extension) and nothing we can do now other than try and get it retrospectively registered after an inspection by another plumber. That doesn't mean it isn't safe, or it hasn't been regularly serviced, ours has.

We've decided we'll probably have to pay for indemnity when we try to sell rather than go down the retrospective route as the boiler is 10 years old now.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport