Best car deals for high mileage

Options
dice
dice Posts: 8 Forumite
Hi
If my husbands gets the job he has applied for he will be doing 96 miles per day which is an awful lot per year.
He will need to change his car to something economical and reliable.
What is everyone’s experience?
I was thinking PCP but he will be doing very high mileage.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dice wrote: »
    Hi
    If my husbands gets the job he has applied for he will be doing 96 miles per day which is an awful lot per year.
    Thanks in advance

Vauxhall are doing 5 years interest free credit and you then own the car.

I think a PCP / PCH deal will work out expensive with those sort of miles.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dice wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks in advance

No, just no. Forget PCP, forget buying something new. Guy I work with does that kind of commute every day. He just buys old cars and runs them into the ground. Last one was a Peugeot 406 which was on well over 250,000 miles when he got rid of it. He replaced it with a Skoda which had been a taxi and as far as I know it was on 300,000 miles when he got it.

He does have a far better car which he uses for everything else but commuting.

Given he works nights he has to have something reliable as you don't want to be breaking down at 3am in the morning in a rural county miles from anywhere and despite the mileage and age of the cars I've not known him not come in to work because his car has broken down.

I'd look for an older VAG group car with the 1.9 TDI engine which is bombproof so that would be VW, Audi, Skoda.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,000 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You haven't said if he needs a new, almost new or older car and what budget?
    Don't forget that 96 miles a day makes an electric car possible especially if he can charge at work.
    If not a Japanese diesel, like an Auris perhaps?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,563 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Toyota Prius. All those taxi drivers can't be wrong.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Toyota Prius. All those taxi drivers can't be wrong.

See also Skoda Superb. Most of the 2nd hand ones have intergalactic miles on them though, because they've been taxis.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • attila_
    attila_ Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My commute is 140 mile round trip x5 days per week. When I was choosing the best car for this I excluded PCP as they become expensive on high miles.

I have an audi a4 tdi 2009 and is perfect for me. I went for a comfortable car and diesel. Bought for £8k now nearly has 200k miles. To be honest any largish car which is comfortable will work. At your miles you will depreciate your car quickly, so important to maintain very well and keep it as long as possible after its depreciated fully (i.e becomes close to reaching banger price). If you eak out more miles and years after that its makes it very cheap motoring.

Another reason I dont like PCP, often people doing a comparison will compare PCP against buying and the selling a car after 4 years (as an example) which seems illogical if you’re buying a car as you miss out on opportunity of having very cheap motoring later on in the car’s life. Just make sure they are looked after properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure