Credit Card Non Sterling Transaction Fee

Options
TC56_803_9
TC56_803_9 Posts: 40 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 21 October 2018 at 2:08PM in Credit cards
OK so when you use your credit card abroad most cards make a "Non Sterling Transaction Fee". My Visa card does.

This year we made multiple purchases from the same supermarket near the camp site in France. Some transactions had a single fee. Some had two fees and one transaction had three fees associated with it ! All from the same store.

In some cases the duplicate fee was identical in some cases eac of the two fee differed and the case of the three fee item, all three were different. Everyone of the trasactions has the same name for the source of the primary charge.

I rang Visa and asked why from the same store I was being charge up to 3 fees and at other times only 1 fee. They spent a long time trying to find an explanation and came back with the statement that they could not explain it.

They offered to refund all the excess charges which is fine, but what the heck is going on.

The worst case was a transaction for euro 1.50 which came out at £1.35 but then attracted three line items for Non Sterling Trasnaction Fee which they checked were all linked to this single exchange
£0.04
£2.50
£2.97

Awesome, so a £1.35 transaction attracts £5.51 in fees !

Is there anyone here expert in this matters to explain what might be going on and how it can be avoided?

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've no idea what is going on with that. Maybe a quirk with the campsite payment processor.

However, many of us don't pay any fees abroad at all.

You need to get yourself one of these.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Raise it with your card provider. It *might* be an error and you *might* get some of the fees refunded.
  • eco_warrior
    Options
    Haven’t heard of anything like that before to be honest. Sounds like a glitch
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    You paid a 1.50 euro transaction with a card?
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You paid a 1.50 euro transaction with a card?

I've paid lower value transactions on a card.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    You could consider applying for a card that does not charge transaction fees and gives you the visa or MasterCard wholesale exchange rate ie a much better one. such cards are Halifax Clarity or tandem there are others
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure