PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Student coffee drinking etc

Options

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    They'll learn soon enough when they have to get jobs to fund food as well as their tuition fees.

It might be useful to talk about the other things that will affect them than whether somebody will call a misto a latte - if they're at university, they'll need to look after themselves for the first time, so will need to do their own washing, buy food and cook it, wash up, keep an eye on mates who have drunk wayyy too much, make their own way home without being able to call Mum for a lift, never leave somebody who has had too much to drink in a club/bar with strangers or alone to 'sleep it off', that kind of thing.

During my daughter's time at uni, one flatmate had a seizure in the communal living area and another, when stressed, was prone to sleep walking ( and was in the habit of sleeping naked). Rescuing a naked girl who was wandering around outside in the middle of the night and administering care to a big seizing bloke (a foot taller and weighing half as much again as her) while waiting for an ambulance were two situations she never imagined having to deal with when she headed off!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i'd much rather drink water than instant or 'pod' coffee - it's also far cheaper and better for you
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They'll soon learn that if they want consistently burned, overpriced coffee, go to major chain coffee shops! If they want good coffee, invest in some decent beans, a leak-proof travel mug & a cafetiere.

(Seriously, St*rbucks, why do your stores always smell like coffee beans burned to a cinder & burning synthetic sugar syrup??)

Basic recipes like cheese sauce (for Mac n cheese) & a basic tomato pasta sauce are always good. Also, how to check whether food is edible, things they can substitute for meat in cheap meals & discuss bulk buying staples like rice & pasta.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Dclutterchique
    Options
    Depending on which day the assembly is get them to watch Martin's programme - Tue 23 Oct - Martin Lewis: 10 Things Your Kids Need To Know, ITV, 9pm either as prep or as a follow up.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    During my daughter's time at uni, one flatmate had a seizure in the communal living area and another, when stressed, was prone to sleep walking ( and was in the habit of sleeping naked). Rescuing a naked girl who was wandering around outside in the middle of the night and administering care to a big seizing bloke (a foot taller and weighing half as much again as her) while waiting for an ambulance were two situations she never imagined having to deal with when she headed off!

Somebody I know had to administer an Epipen in her first week at Uni. She had no idea what one was until the point at which somebody collapsed on the floor and gasped out 'my bag'.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP- I'm guessing this is in preparation for helping them budget in time for Uni?

My DS started Uni last month. So far he has grumbled about the price of cereal and chicken breasts. :rotfl: Suggestions for liking cheaper options such as porridge which is also more filling and buying alternatives such as chicken thighs for example.

Other things he's thought expensive are the washing machines and tumble driers, and he's commented on fellow students just washing a couple of shirts instead of a full load.

DS is in halls with an International student from the seychelles and says that this student's stock cupboard consists of loads of herbs and spices. He concocted DS and another friend a sauce when they had chicken wings pen day and DS raved about how delicious it was, so maybe making your own sauces from scratch. I suspect many students live on rice/noodles/pasta.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm growing an avocado seed, what it's produced (5 years into the process) is nothing like the "mother" avocado I took the seed from. I don't think they have degrees long enough for students to bother growing their own avocados.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    If students are going to grow anything it won't be avocados.

But it is really moneysaving, so on topic.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Hello

Re: Costings it depends on your coffee. I have a Nespresso machine but don't use their pods. My " posh" coffee costs me about 17p a pod. 5p for the milk for the frother. Even including the electricity and water ( I'm metered) it must come in at less than 30p. Versus, what, £2.50 for a costa Starbucks cheapest option? A place to begin with Costings.

Could possibly show them how to grow herbs, chillies, cut and come again lettuce, tomatoes. I'm less sure about avocados. If I was working with my U6, id help them learn to manage money. But a single assembly won't do that!!

Good luck

Bexster :)

One of my sons has asked for a Nespresso machine for Christmas would you mind sharing which pods you buy, please?
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Somebody I know had to administer an Epipen in her first week at Uni. She had no idea what one was until the point at which somebody collapsed on the floor and gasped out 'my bag'.

I had a similar experience, although there was no epipen and she'd forgotten her inhalers when a friend fed her curry with peanuts in the supermarket sauce. And then cancelled the ambulance as she thought a taxi would be quicker... I learned how to keep someone calm to keep them breathing while the taxi driver got us to the hospital without breaking the speed limit or running a red light.

So learning how to deal with emergencies... including when it IS appropriate to call an ambulance (and why allergies should be taken seriously) might be helpful.

The laundry thing is also important ... so many students have no clue how washing machines work. Nor do they seem to know how to cook.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure