Accident (fun fair)

Options
Hello all, I need a bit of advice, My son had an accident, the attraction was a bouncy slide. He ended up with a fractured leg out of the incident and a weekend holiday wasted.
The owner or operator was not interested, mainly spoke to other punters why overcrowded children played on the ride.
I had to prompt the owner to call the site security to attend to my son who helped with first aid.
What can i do about this ? it was not supervised and overcrowded.
Can anything be done compensation wise.help please.

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How did he fracture his leg?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • dashwoodlee
    dashwoodlee Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    when coming down on the slide part foot got stuck under some part of tarpaulin,leg went back and hence the fracture,I think the overspill of children on the ride,made him nervous anyway,unfourtunalty for me i have no photos,as that would have involved me having pictures of other children which aint mine,not being funny,people can be funny,the site doubles up as a market and has cctv and the incident has been noted on paper at the resort.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Contact a no win no fee injury compensation firm and see what they advise
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make sure you keep a record of receipts e.g. taxi to hospital or whatever just in case. Then work out what losses your son has such as loss of earnings (lol)
  • Fennite
    Fennite Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

It might be worth getting in contact with the local authority to find out who licences the fun fair, and contacting the showman's guild http://www.showmensguild.co.uk/

I used do the administration for a large funfair, partially run by the local authority. All showmen must provide the council with their liability certificates.
  • Fennite
    Fennite Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43964223 Big news in East Anglia at the moment, kid killed on bouncy castle.. Showmen went and packed up the bouncy castles before the cops showed up. Dodgy as.

I used to think after working with that industry that I would never allow a relative or friend go on funfair rides, but then look at what happened at Alton Towers! The paperwork I would receive from the showmen was abysmal. I saw teenage boys erecting huge rides working at height without safety harnesses and a young child operating a tea cup ride.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this a fun fair or something like a School Fete or similar?
  • dashwoodlee
    dashwoodlee Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    No its static but part of a bigger theme park,where the main park runs on wristbands,tickets etc this one only takes cash,i have just found a picture where the tarpaulin is up and there is not one single safety mat only a piece of artificial grass.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear of your son's accident and let's hope he'll make a full recovery. There is the question though, why on earth would you allow a small child to get on a ride that was patently unsafe, overcrowded and not supervised?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you're interested in making sure it doesn't happen again rather than how much compo you can get then check if they've reported it (probably not.)
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/entertainment/fairgrounds/faqs.htm

Then make a huge fuss with the bigger theme park who presumably have some sort of arrangement with them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure