Potential PPI Claim

Options
Hello,
I will try my best to explain this, the best I can. I have posted on the forums regarding a Charging Order originating from HSBC that I found out about in November for which I received good advice from the wonderful subscribers on the forum (You dont realise how great you lot are and I really do appreciate the help) As part of the process of trying to understand how the charging order came about I found out that the debt related to a very old debt belonging to First Direct which comprised of a personal loan, a credit card and a number of bank chargers. I think that its a disgrace and needs to be a lot more widely publicised that personal unsecured loans, credit card and excessive bank chargers can be changed into charging orders. How many people know about this? Its not very publicised. As part of the process of trying to find out further information I paid for a request for information. Amongst my large wad of paperwork, i found the information relating to my loan which I took out in June 2006 - 12 years ago. I found that I had signed for a personal protection loan plan.which I had forgotten about. Not long after I was dismissed from my job. Within the paperwork is transcripts of my calls and they told me that I was not entitled to the loan protection due to being dismissed which at the time almost sent me over the edge when I needed it most. I was also going through a bout of depression due to the circumstances. I have never tried to claim PPI and thought that I would not have a chance of claiming anything but following what I have read on this site and a couple of other sites. Is there a chance? I was not told that it was optional. I was not told about any exclusions or circumstances in which I couldnt claim until it was too late. I certainly wouldnt have tried to claim when I was dismissed. I assumed that it was compulsory. I did feel pressured into taking the cover. It was not explained how to cancel the policy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get professional help but its difficult due to work commitments. I also did not recieve any information about the credit card that I had payment protection or not even though I asked for it. And the bank chargers are very excessive which I am not sure if I can do anything about? Sorry its long but it really is stressful. Should I get help from a PPI company? Or continue on my own?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    simmian wrote: »
    Should I get help from a PPI company?
    Of course not. They can only do what you can and have done alone and for free..
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PPI cover rarely, if ever, covers you for dismissal (rather than say redundancy) or people could just have a year off when they felt like it. The policy not paying out because it didn't cover something that was in the policy documents doesn't mean it was miss-sold.

Unfortunately all of your complaint reasons are unprovable he said/she said type things which you can't prove and are an easy dismissal.

Not to say a complaint wouldn't somehow succeed for other reasons but these are not something we can guess at
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure