Insurance amendment

Options
pop18
pop18 Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 4 May 2018 at 4:39PM in Insurance & life assurance
My son is a named driver on my policy and had a no-fault accident recently. He is not claiming. He was a bit shocked and his nervous tone on the phone set off alarm bells and they requested some documents. One of which is my mortgage deed.

After inspecting my documents I've spotted an error on the policy, next to 'homeowner' it said yes. I'm not the homeowner although I have lived at the address for the 15+ years as its our family home. I'm quite worried now as we have renewed with same insurer recently assuming previous details were correct. We have only been with them for 2 years.

Any advice how to handle this. Last year he renewed without thoroughly checking because most of details looked same.

I don't mind paying any difference to the insurer, it's a innocent mistake. I just don't want my policy to be cancelled if it can be avoided.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    As you cannot comply with their (strange request - you presumably never told them about any mortgage) then best to get in touch and explain the error

Then take it from their response
  • pop18
    Options
    Thanks.. Is this best done in writing?

I think they thought homeowner > mortgage or something.

They have put claim on hold until they receive documents they have asked for even though he has said he doesn't wish to pursue a claim and that it was for information only. Their response 'sure, we can update it to that once you supply the documents we asked'.

They are being very difficult.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have most probably received a discount for being a homeowner, as it appears you are not the homeowner they will want to investigate the matter further.

It sounds like your son was the person who did all the Insurance arranging
  • pop18
    Options
    Yes he did the arranging and renewals.

What I can't understand is why they can't change the claim to information only. He won't be claiming. They have even written saying they will treat it as no fault based on what he said if they proceed.

I'd rather cancel the policy if there is a chance they will not budge.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The claim/non claim is a side issue (assuming there is no likelihood of s claim against him coming through)

You do though need to address the issue otherwise you may be giving them grounds to cancel by way of your non compliance with their request.

Take the bull by the horns and explain why you cannot supply the requested information.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FWIW a mortgage deed does not provide evidence of ownership. There are guarantor mortgage products in the market, what is known as "Joint Borrower, Sole Proprietor" where someone is party to the mortgage but not to the ownership.

The insurer can check the Proprietorship Register at the Land Registry for £3 to establish who owns a property.

Who does own the property?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It sounds like the insurance company are concerned you are "fronting" the insurance for your son. Whose car is it he was driving?
  • pop18
    edited 5 May 2018 at 11:40AM
    Options
    My son owns the property. There is no mortgage to speak of. I am the registered owner of the car.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    Phone them, explain the named driver is the homeowner but you're the policyholder because it's your car, and provide them with any documents they ask for. They can't demand a document that doesn't exist, but they can charge you for amending the details on the insurance from homeowner to tenant if they choose to.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    Options
    So its your policy and your car but he renewed it?

I can see why an insurer would want further info.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure