Tips on staying calm when very nervous

Options

Comments

• sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I tried all of these tips yesterday and I was an absolute mess in my driving lesson yesterday. I tried to calm down and relax but I couldn't. I keep getting panicked. I've got a lesson on Monday, so I'm just going to try and forget about it and not dwell on it in between now and Monday.

Why do I get so nervous? :(
  • findingthisdifficult
    Options
    How are you getting on now sstevo19?
    I used to get so nervous about my driving lessons, I started March 26th last year and passed my test first time 22nd November last year.
    I'm not confident at all, I did pass plus with my instructor in March but even now 7 months later I've barely driven by myself and when I have it's been 10-15 minute journeys. I'm kind of ok driving with my husband in the car but I still find it hard to transition from a small learner car to my focus.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card £0/£3,161 0% interest PAID IN FULL 29/01/2021
    Loan £0/£23,179 5.4% PAID IN FULL 31/08/2020
    Total £0/£26,340 100%
    DEBT FREE AS OF 29/01/2021

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt

• sstevo19
    Options
    How are you getting on now sstevo19?
    I used to get so nervous about my driving lessons, I started March 26th last year and passed my test first time 22nd November last year.
    I'm not confident at all, I did pass plus with my instructor in March but even now 7 months later I've barely driven by myself and when I have it's been 10-15 minute journeys. I'm kind of ok driving with my husband in the car but I still find it hard to transition from a small learner car to my focus.

Thanks findingthisdifficult :)

I had another lesson on the 4th, and it went a lot better. I was a lot calmer, as I hadn't been thinking about it too much. I'm trying not to think as much about it and it's helping. My last lesson was so much better as I wasn't as nervous and I was able to be nearly calm for most of it. I did still get a bit flustered occasionally.

I have another lesson tomorrow so I'm hoping I'll be as calm as I was on the last one.
  • Alexxaa
    Alexxaa Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Just breathe. This is always step one for me. Just take a few deep breaths and focus fully on them to calm down a bit.

And also wake up with good thoughts!) If you wake up every morning and think about all the good things in your life to be grateful for, it’s easier to stay focused on the positive and stay happy!
  • sstevo19
    Options
    Alexxaa wrote: »
    Just breathe. This is always step one for me. Just take a few deep breaths and focus fully on them to calm down a bit.

And also wake up with good thoughts!) If you wake up every morning and think about all the good things in your life to be grateful for, it’s easier to stay focused on the positive and stay happy!

Thanks Alexxaa

I'm getting along a bit better with staying calm. I've been trying to think positively about it lately, I'm doing this for myself and for my independence. My instructor actually commented on one lesson that I had calmed down a lot quicker than normal. I've just got to think positively :)
  • BigHead
    BigHead Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    This might sound crazy but hear me out. Take your car to an empty large parking lot in any weather condition. The worst the weather the better this works. Set up some basic cones and make your own basic course. Make sure u are strapped in and there are no pedestrians. Now test the limitations of your car. Start easy and work your way up to sliding the car, locking up your brakes, spinning the wheels etc. (this is why rain or snow is best for this practice) you may feel like a hooligan at first but you are teaching yourself what your car will do in the worst case senecio. This is in the back of every new drivers mind. So put it out there and let your brain understand what will happen to the car. This could take some stress off your mind. Hope this helps.
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    Chew gum.

Your digestive system shuts down when you're in a heightened state of alert- fight or flight time- to let the blood fuel your muscles rather than your tum. If you chew gum you trick your brain into relaxing, since you are eating you can't possibly be nervous!

I learnt to drive a few years ago, in my late 30s. I was able to explain my nervousness to my instructor who was great, but was absolutely bricking it before the last lesson and my test. I chewed gum like mad but it kept my nerves steady.

Barbiedoll, my instructor used to say, "Well they'll just have to wait, won't they?!" when I stalled/ did a 27-point turn/ waited for a loooong gap etc. I still say it to myself now.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • sstevo19
    Options
    Chew gum.

Your digestive system shuts down when you're in a heightened state of alert- fight or flight time- to let the blood fuel your muscles rather than your tum. If you chew gum you trick your brain into relaxing, since you are eating you can't possibly be nervous!

I learnt to drive a few years ago, in my late 30s. I was able to explain my nervousness to my instructor who was great, but was absolutely bricking it before the last lesson and my test. I chewed gum like mad but it kept my nerves steady.

Barbiedoll, my instructor used to say, "Well they'll just have to wait, won't they?!" when I stalled/ did a 27-point turn/ waited for a loooong gap etc. I still say it to myself now.

Thanks for the tip. I might try it.
  • Rita2456
    Rita2456 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    i focus on my breathing and try to calm it down, allows me to take a step back and ask myself as to whether i need to be panicked in this situation
  • wuzzypoo
    wuzzypoo Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried tapping or hypnosis?

You can get how to videos on you tube for both, they do work, honest. You may feel a bit of a plonker when you do the tapping but they work.

I was petrified of dentist and for years either avoided going or got to worried I didn’t sleep for nights before my appointments, when I broke a tooth and needed it taking out I was horrified. I couldn’t wait to have it done under anaesthetic so I did some tapping and listened to hypnosis for 2 nights before tooth extraction and I had it done no dramas and not panic attack!!

You can try them for nowt. !!!128578;
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport