Fault with sons car?

Options
My son bought a s/h Ford from a Nissan Dealer and had a 12 month warranty Not long after he bought the car it started playing up so he took it back to the Nissan garage in the morning and picked it up in the evening when he asked about the fault he was told couldn't find one? it wasn't an intermittant fault when he jumped in his car and went to start it there was the fault so he went up the road a little bit stopped the car and tried it again and there it was so he went back to Nissan and asked "did anyone actually look at the car" so the fitter came got in and heard the fault and arranged for it to be brought back 2 days later. (Phew Mills & Boon eat your heart out) he phoned on the afternoon that the car was in and then they told him "it will have to go to a Ford dealer" "ok" he said "so when will i get it back" and they said "now if you want, you will have to take it to the Ford dealer and pay for the diagnostic check yourself because our diagnostics machine is only good for Nissan and then bring it back to us" He said "But its under warranty and its covered" They said "No Its Not the warranty does not cover the Diagnostic check" Is this right for Nissan to make my son pay for the diagnostic check £150.00 to tell the Nissan mechanics whats wrong with the car. What if he hasn't got £150 could he insist that they do it the old fashioned way without a diagnostic (process of illimination) and that would cost them more in the long run i would have thought :mad:
The solving of a problem lies in finding the solvers.

Comments

• LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    what does the warranty terms state?

Its not unusual for items such as diagnostics not to be covered and he cant expect the garage to guess at the fault if he wont pay for a diagnostics
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suspect that the nissan garage are part of the chain, and within that chain they will have there fingers in a ford garage somewhere.

You could post up a few things here, and we can see what we can do..

Will need -

a) The car type (Ford Fiesta 1.6 2006 '06'
    b) The fault / what it does etc
    c) Any indications of the fault

Then see what we can do..

Regards,

Alias
  • balloo_2
    balloo_2 Posts: 876 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect that the nissan garage are part of the chain, and within that chain they will have there fingers in a ford garage somewhere.

You could post up a few things here, and we can see what we can do..

Will need -

a) The car type (Ford Fiesta 1.6 2006 '06'
    b) The fault / what it does etc
    c) Any indications of the fault

Then see what we can do..

Regards,

Alias

Hello Its a ford Mondeo '55' and when he starts it for about 30seconds he cant do anything it wont rev and it sounds like its on the verge of cutting out and running if you know what i mean? uneven like a bucket of nuts and bolts in the engine. thats all i can tell you :confused:
  • balloo_2
    balloo_2 Posts: 876 Forumite
    Options
    what does the warranty terms state?

Its not unusual for items such as diagnostics not to be covered and he cant expect the garage to guess at the fault if he wont pay for a diagnostics

Yes he can! How did they used to do it before computers in cars and diagnostics came in? ;)
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    balloo wrote: »
    Yes he can! How did they used to do it before computers in cars and diagnostics came in? ;)

Well before cars came so technologically advanced there wasnt as much need for diagnostics.
  • GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hang on if the car is faulty it is "Not fit for purpose" reguardless of the warrenty.
    Take it back to them and tell them to fix it as it is NOT fit for the purpose intended,
    also if it is cutting out is not road worthy there for sould not of been sold.
    Bloody main dealers. :mad:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • markybaby
    markybaby Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    It is not the 'not fit for purpose' argument in this case. It is the 'of satisfactory quality' argument. It all comes down to how long your son had the car before the fault developed.
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/before_you_buy/thinking_about/cars/dealer
    You have more rights than if you had bought privately but second hand cars are always a tricky one. If the car is less than 28 days old you should have a case for returning it under the above clause, if not check the warranty details for what is and is not included. Good luck, nothing worse than car trouble to put a crimp in your week.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    Well before cars came so technologically advanced there wasnt as much need for diagnostics.

So not only do you have no knowledge in legal matters, you also have no knowledge in motoring matters either!

Are you seriously saying that before diagnostics could be ran, cars would not have mechanical breaksdowns?

I know that you enjoy coming on here trolling to try and act as if you are mean and vicious, but with your lack of knowledge you fall flat on your face aand come across as an uneducated idiot.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    balloo wrote: »
    Hello Its a ford Mondeo '55' and when he starts it for about 30seconds he cant do anything it wont rev and it sounds like its on the verge of cutting out and running if you know what i mean? uneven like a bucket of nuts and bolts in the engine. thats all i can tell you :confused:

Ok,

2005 '55' Ford Mondeo

is it petrol, diesel.? what size engine.?

There are 2 sites to look at -

Honest John Review (this tells you about some of the car faults)

Ford Mondeo Forum (a forum about the mondeo car - will need to register)

I would post the question up on the forum, but you will need to be clearer, and straight to the point with

a) The car (2005 '55' Ford Mondeo'
    b) The engine (etc 2.0 TDCi)
    c) The problem in details, when it started etc, when it clears.

Also, what is the name of the dealer.?

Our local is F. Cross (volkswagen), but in the next town its F. Cross (Renault), F. Cross (Citroen).

The garage he bought the car from will be XXXX trading as Nissan. So not actually nissan. I guess he will need to look at the warranty paperwork to find out what they cover / dont cover and to what cost.

Same company, different garages.

Regards,

Alias
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills